My really old gaming pc

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017
This is the setup of my current pc. It is really old and my cousin stopped gaming and gave it to me and i really know close to nothing about gaming pcs and building pcs etc.
I have started to notice extreme lag that i never noticed before so im thinking about upgrading current parts. I would just like to hear some thoughts on it and what i should upgrade for higher fps etc. I play games like rocket league and not crazy computer exploding games. I am just going to list what speccy told me my computer parts were lol.
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 96 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8H61-M LX PLUS R2.0 (LGA1155) 34 °C
Graphics
S24B300 (1920x1080@60Hz)
BenQ G2410HD (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 640 (ASUStek Computer Inc) 49 °C
Storage
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-9YN162 (SATA) 34 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS72
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
i just copy pasted it lol

CPU is 96C? Should be around the mid 30C range idle, maybe mid 60s full load at stock. I'd check with another program like realtemp to verify. Possible the CPU fan is failing, mount came loose, or dried up thermal compound. Good chance CPU is throttling causing lag problem.

^ When even ancient chips ;) overheat they slow down to reduce power consumption and heat output (throttling) and it sounds very much as if your CPU is doing just that.
You need to clean the CPU cooler and replace the thermal paste to start with, that will eliminate overheating as the issue.
If you're unsure how to proceed, there is many videos on YouTube or we can offer plain text advice here.

Either way you'll need at least:
New thermal paste.
A cleaning fluid of some sort (I prefer Isopropyl Alcohol).
A 1/4" long bristled paintbrush.
Some cotton buds.

If the CPU cooler is the stock 'pushpin' Intel design the fan blades will be small and easily damaged, while these coolers are dead cheap it's annoying to have to find a replacement, so be gentle and use damp cotton buds to clean BOTH sides of the blades. As I recall the fan is held on by two tabs that lock into the cooler body, they can be released with a flat bladed screwdriver, but, again, the material is somewhat brittle so be careful.

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

thank you

doggeria

Reputable
Aug 6, 2017

will do thanks !