AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Noctua NH-U12S (Black)
Asus Radeon RX 5700 XT ROG Strix 8GB
4x Gskill Trident z 8GB 3200mghz
Samsung 970 evo 500GB M.2 SSD
4TB Seagate Barracuda SATA HDD
Corsair TX750M 80 Plus Gold 750W
Nox Hummer TGX Rainbow

I started playing COD Warzone first, and started having issues and error messages about unrecoverable DirectX12 errors. Since Warzone is an infamously unstable game I didn't give it much thought and figured it would get fixed with a patch (which it didn't). So I started troubleshooting and tweaking. Uninstalled my gpu drivers, reinstalled them. Same issue. I updated the BIOS, same issue. Updated the chipset drivers, same issue. Checked for any GPU BIOS Update, turns out my GPU shipped with an updated BIOS. At the end I gave up and decided to wait for a game update, convinced it was just a poorly optimized game. I started playing other games GTAV, Assassin's Creed, Destiny 2, etc. as well as doing some light video editing and after a while all the programs crash. After each crash I get a notification from the AMD Adrenaline software that reads "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure". I started digging and found out my GPU Drivers weren't fully updated (a couple of newer versions had released) so I updated to the latest ones at the time of posting (20.8.1) and I still get the same error. I've tried overclocking, undervolting, maxing the power draw limit, changing the fan curve to a more aggresive and cooler option and I always get the same problem while gaming (at least not while editing anymore). The only "weird" setting I've got is XMP enabled, which shouldn't have anything to do with this issue.

Is there anything else I can do, besides changing to an Nvidia GPU, to fix this?

Thanks beforehand to anyone who takes the time in reading this and helping me (and any other person with this issue)

Solution
Hello,

I've recently built my first ever pc with the following components:

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Noctua NH-U12S (Black)
Nox Hummer TGX Rainbow

I started playing COD Warzone first, and started having issues and error messages about unrecoverable DirectX12 errors. Since Warzone is an infamously unstable game I didn't give it much thought and figured it would get fixed with a patch (which it didn't). So I started troubleshooting and tweaking. Uninstalled my gpu drivers, reinstalled them. Same issue. I updated the BIOS, same issue. Updated the...

poorbugger

Distinguished
Hello,

I've recently built my first ever pc with the following components:

MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk Wifi
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Noctua NH-U12S (Black)
Nox Hummer TGX Rainbow

I started playing COD Warzone first, and started having issues and error messages about unrecoverable DirectX12 errors. Since Warzone is an infamously unstable game I didn't give it much thought and figured it would get fixed with a patch (which it didn't). So I started troubleshooting and tweaking. Uninstalled my gpu drivers, reinstalled them. Same issue. I updated the BIOS, same issue. Updated the chipset drivers, same issue. Checked for any GPU BIOS Update, turns out my GPU shipped with an updated BIOS. At the end I gave up and decided to wait for a game update, convinced it was just a poorly optimized game. I started playing other games GTAV, Assassin's Creed, Destiny 2, etc. as well as doing some light video editing and after a while all the programs crash. After each crash I get a notification from the AMD Adrenaline software that reads "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure". I started digging and found out my GPU Drivers weren't fully updated (a couple of newer versions had released) so I updated to the latest ones at the time of posting (20.8.1) and I still get the same error. I've tried overclocking, undervolting, maxing the power draw limit, changing the fan curve to a more aggresive and cooler option and I always get the same problem while gaming (at least not while editing anymore). The only "weird" setting I've got is XMP enabled, which shouldn't have anything to do with this issue.

Is there anything else I can do, besides changing to an Nvidia GPU, to fix this?

Thanks beforehand to anyone who takes the time in reading this and helping me (and any other person with this issue)
I had that error before. It's due to me undervolting or doing any overclocking or tweaking to the gpu. Do you crash on stock settings? I think the most stable driver right now is 20.4.2 so, try using that. I get the warzone error as well even after switching to nvidia so nothing can be done there except updating directx or force the game to use dx11. So try resetting everything to default. Then do a fresh uninstall of the drivers using ddu and reinstall driver 20.4.2. Dont tweak anything in the bios

Solution
Aug 8, 2020
I had that error before. It's due to me undervolting or doing any overclocking or tweaking to the gpu. Do you crash on stock settings? I think the most stable driver right now is 20.4.2 so, try using that. I get the warzone error as well even after switching to nvidia so nothing can be done there except updating directx or force the game to use dx11. So try resetting everything to default. Then do a fresh uninstall of the drivers using ddu and reinstall driver 20.4.2. Dont tweak anything in the bios

Yeah, I know warzone is an insanely unstable game, that's why I didn't give it much thought. However, since I got errors in other GPU intensive applications, I started worrying. Yeah, I've also tried running everything at default, for the exeption of RAM which is XMP enabled and kept having errors. Last night I did a new clean drivers instal witht the AMD Cleanup Utility and it seems to be working fine for the moment, although I still have some more testing to do before calling victory. Nonetheless, for future reference, how do you force the game to run on DX11?

If I cannot get it to work this week I'm gonna get RMA.

Thx!

Aug 8, 2020
So yeah, here's an update on my situation. Ended up getting my money back for the Raden rx 5700 xt and got a Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super for just around 60€ more and all my problems disappeared.

Thanks for the help guys!