Question My router is disconnecting every 2 hours ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
If it works fine on another ISP then it means your current ISP is a bunch of jerks. They have for whatever reason set the connection to disconnect even if you are using it. Very strange since this would also impact people who work from home and would have stuff like video meeting interrupted.

It could be as simple as they do not make enough profit off customers like you. They want the customers who pay for the service and then not use it much so they make the service not run well for people who use it more hoping they will cancel.

Unfortunately unless the contract with them states they can't disconnect you every 2 hours they can do what ever they want.

Best option is to find a better ISP and make sure you find review places and post the fact that they disconnect every 2 hours. All depends on the costs if your current ISP is much cheaper than other ISP many people will tolerate the 2 hour disconnect to pay less money

May 20, 2024
If it works fine on another ISP then it means your current ISP is a bunch of jerks. They have for whatever reason set the connection to disconnect even if you are using it. Very strange since this would also impact people who work from home and would have stuff like video meeting interrupted.

It could be as simple as they do not make enough profit off customers like you. They want the customers who pay for the service and then not use it much so they make the service not run well for people who use it more hoping they will cancel.

Unfortunately unless the contract with them states they can't disconnect you every 2 hours they can do what ever they want.

Best option is to find a better ISP and make sure you find review places and post the fact that they disconnect every 2 hours. All depends on the costs if your current ISP is much cheaper than other ISP many people will tolerate the 2 hour disconnect to pay less money
You're right, it's a shame they have stable connection but not connectivity, they didn't even respond to complaint on live chat, i'll try to find another good isp, but now all can i do is stopped playing before it reach 2 hours expire, disable and re enable ipv4 resetting the time also restarting router, thanks for all the answer.

And it appears that there is the option to use another ISP.

From Post #50

"i did use other isp sim card and everything is fine without disconnecting"

Why not use that ISP?
It's expensive with less data.

Last edited:
In many ways it is better that you know when it is going to reset. You could run a app on your machine to warn you right before.

It would be far worse if it just randomly disconnects. You never really know how well other ISP run until you try them. When I tried to use mobile broadband for internet it work perfectly fine except during rush hour. After lots of digging it seems that when it was good I was using a cell tower near my house but it was also located near a busy highway. During rush hour they would force me off the tower near my house to a tower farther away that performed poorly. They likely were having capacity issues with all the cars using internet during rush hour and those cars only see that one tower so they decided those cars were more important than me.

May 20, 2024
In many ways it is better that you know when it is going to reset. You could run a app on your machine to warn you right before.

It would be far worse if it just randomly disconnects. You never really know how well other ISP run until you try them. When I tried to use mobile broadband for internet it work perfectly fine except during rush hour. After lots of digging it seems that when it was good I was using a cell tower near my house but it was also located near a busy highway. During rush hour they would force me off the tower near my house to a tower farther away that performed poorly. They likely were having capacity issues with all the cars using internet during rush hour and those cars only see that one tower so they decided those cars were more important than me.
Oh right i will, thanks.

Yeah, at least i know when it's gonna disconnected now, yup i'll try one by one, my country has 7 gsm isp, it's my third isp, i really wanna try fiber it's more expensive here also i didn't use a lot of data for now though, isp in my country really don't care about customer, the first one i use expensive but not so stable, the second one is suddenly 200ms whole year, now this one has disconnected problem.

from your story any chance they set lease time to 2 hours because they have too much cars you talking about?

i did, i even disable dhcp on router i don't even know it's work or not actually, how to use only ipv4? thanks in advance
You would not want to disable DHCP, that's necessary to obtain an IP address. It is the IPv6 only that can cause problems (if DHCP assigns an IPv4 address, then that is generally not an issue since IPv4 has been around so very long compared to IPv6).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you set your connection on Windows to use IPv4, then this should be enough.

Oh right i will, thanks.

Yeah, at least i know when it's gonna disconnected now, yup i'll try one by one, my country has 7 gsm isp, it's my third isp, i really wanna try fiber it's more expensive here also i didn't use a lot of data for now though, isp in my country really don't care about customer, the first one i use expensive but not so stable, the second one is suddenly 200ms whole year, now this one has disconnected problem.

from your story any chance they set lease time to 2 hours because they have too much cars you talking about?
That was just a example. It is more likely the ISP is trying to prevent people from leaving things open constantly. Say running a security camera or even web pages that constantly update themselves. It seems they want to be sure someone is sitting there using the connection. But it all comes down them being jerks. They want to make as much money as they can and deliver as little service as possible. The more people they can disconnect the less of their resources it uses.

May 20, 2024
You would not want to disable DHCP, that's necessary to obtain an IP address. It is the IPv6 only that can cause problems (if DHCP assigns an IPv4 address, then that is generally not an issue since IPv4 has been around so very long compared to IPv6).

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if you set your connection on Windows to use IPv4, then this should be enough.
Did that, still disconnected, seems my problem is my isp

May 20, 2024
That was just a example. It is more likely the ISP is trying to prevent people from leaving things open constantly. Say running a security camera or even web pages that constantly update themselves. It seems they want to be sure someone is sitting there using the connection. But it all comes down them being jerks. They want to make as much money as they can and deliver as little service as possible. The more people they can disconnect the less of their resources it uses.
Yeah im gathering info if this only me or other people got the problem too

I guess you could ask the ISP what their timeout is set to but the first level techs likely do not know that. It is unlikely they singled you out but they might offer different plans and more expensive plans do not do that.

Your average user is not going to even see this it really is only going to be gamers and maybe work from home people. Most people may not even figure out it happens on a fixed time basis. Maybe there is a review site for ISP doesn't hurt to post what you know but it would have to be a large enough site that lots of people read it.

Did that, still disconnected, seems my problem is my isp
Many ISPs have issues in the various lines between given neighborhoods that show up whenever there is new moisture or big temperature swings. It is expensive and difficult to troubleshoot those lines, and so you normally would need the issue escalated to one of the area managers to get any real testing. You probably do need the ISP's help, but I'm guessing you will have to be persistent to get this escalated. Or switch ISP.