[SOLVED] My Rx 570

Dav1dd

Commendable
May 27, 2020
So I think I my have a problem with my Rx 570 because it is only consuming 70 watts and the GPU is spiking from 0% to 99% all the time.

In fortnite I am getting 100 fps all low settings and insane stutters and fps drop when moving and just looking around in general.

I don't know what to do and I feel like I just wasted my money.

pc specs

i3 9100f
xfx Rx 570
8gb ram 2666 mhz
gigabyte b365m ds3h
240gb ssd
1tb hard drive
500w thermaltake 80 plus grade.

(I checked my temps and the are 60 for my GPU and not sure for my cpu)

(Also my CPU usage is 90% to 100%)

Edit:My performance grade in radeon software is optimal.

Last edited:
Solution
It's your cpu that processes user input, the game stutters when you look around becuase your processor has to process your input, decide what the new terrain is going to look like, calculate what it looks like, then tell your graphics card what information needs to be presented on screen, the slower this happens the more you notice, also the more reliably and precisely the cpu can do this, will result in smoother gameplay, with less stuttering and microstutters, also when playing online you get information on enemy players slower too, so it will feel less snappy more laggy too

also your cpu has to run windows in the background and anything else that is open or running on your computer while doing all this, it leads to exactly this...

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
It's your cpu that processes user input, the game stutters when you look around becuase your processor has to process your input, decide what the new terrain is going to look like, calculate what it looks like, then tell your graphics card what information needs to be presented on screen, the slower this happens the more you notice, also the more reliably and precisely the cpu can do this, will result in smoother gameplay, with less stuttering and microstutters, also when playing online you get information on enemy players slower too, so it will feel less snappy more laggy too

also your cpu has to run windows in the background and anything else that is open or running on your computer while doing all this, it leads to exactly this problem when gaming, aswell as pop in textures, slow loading times etc

Reactions: King_V
Solution

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I upgraded from an amd 4170 recently, a 4 core 4 thread processor with similar performance to yours, the cpu cannot keep up with the graphics card, i bought mine over a year ago and made the same mistake, when i upgraded to a r7 2700x processor, i found my rx 570 went from 30fps low detail to 60fps high detail, it makes a huge difference

Sorry to say that you would probably want an upgrade to the cpu, something 6 core for fortnight would be perfect for you

Dav1dd

Commendable
May 27, 2020
I upgraded from an amd 4170 recently, a 4 core 4 thread processor with similar performance to yours, the cpu cannot keep up with the graphics card, i bought mine over a year ago and made the same mistake, when i upgraded to a r7 2700x processor, i found my rx 570 went from 30fps low detail to 60fps high detail, it makes a huge difference

Sorry to say that you would probably want an upgrade to the cpu, something 6 core for fortnight would be perfect for you
Thanks for the reply but my goal is not to improve my fps but my question was if someone could help me with the gpu usage and power consumption.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Thanks for the reply but my goal is not to improve my fps but my question was if someone could help me with the gpu usage and power consumption.

We are doing that, and @Mickieg1994 is once again correct. Your CPU is being pushed to its limits, and when you see the stuttering and FPS drops, it is because the game is demanding more of the CPU than the CPU can provide (that's when it hits 100%) - the GPU has low usage because the CPU isn't providing it with data quickly enough.