Question My rx460 is detected by my pc as rx560

Aug 24, 2021
Hi, yesterday i bought rx460 4gb OC and when it came i test it, while im benchmarking i notice that the system is detecting my rx460 as a rx560! I check the Gpu-z it says rx560, can someone know the issue about it?

Here are some of the information i get on gpu-z and the sitcker on my rx460
2qM128.jpg
uez5NE.jpg

ewK1tk.gif

Remeca

Reputable
What should i do? Should i flash the old bios but the card itself is working perfectly fine. But it has issue when im installing a driver.
What issues with the drivers? If it was working perfectly, I would say don't fix what ain't broke, but any instability issues or driver incompatibility or higher than normal temps, you may want to flash the stock bios. It's relatively easy and simple, as long as you get the right bios. The folks at techpowerup.com can help make sure you get the right one before you try flashing anything. Alternatively, you can try lowering the core and memory clocks to stock Nitro+ RX 460 OC speeds using MSI afterburner, and see if that solves any of the issues you are having before considering flashing a BIOS. When you ask for a bios, you will need a good picture of the sticker on the card, which you have, but also a close up of a memory chip so they can identify the right bios for the particular brand of memory on your card.

Reactions: Colorblue
Aug 24, 2021
What issues with the drivers? If it was working perfectly, I would say don't fix what ain't broke, but any instability issues or driver incompatibility or higher than normal temps, you may want to flash the stock bios. It's relatively easy and simple, as long as you get the right bios. The folks at techpowerup.com can help make sure you get the right one before you try flashing anything. Alternatively, you can try lowering the core and memory clocks to stock Nitro+ RX 460 OC speeds using MSI afterburner, and see if that solves any of the issues you are having before considering flashing a BIOS. When you ask for a bios, you will need a good picture of the sticker on the card, which you have, but also a close up of a memory chip so they can identify the right bios for the particular brand of memory on your card.

When im done installing the driver suddenly my pc went to no input all of a sudden and it black screen, i turn off my pc and open it again i notice that my desktop seems lagging. And when i open my radeon setting it says that i downloaded a wrong driver, and i uninstall my driver using DDU, and when i install the driver again i didn't install the radeon and its working perfectly fine but the main driver radeon is not install. Is that even okay?

Remeca

Reputable
When im done installing the driver suddenly my pc went to no input all of a sudden and it black screen, i turn off my pc and open it again i notice that my desktop seems lagging. And when i open my radeon setting it says that i downloaded a wrong driver, and i uninstall my driver using DDU, and when i install the driver again i didn't install the radeon and its working perfectly fine but the main driver radeon is not install. Is that even okay?
I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't install the latest official drivers, but in the current GPU market, if it works well enough, you could leave it alone. Another option is to return it if you bought it somewhere like eBay or Amazon. In any case, you should still identify and download the correct bios just so you have it in case you decide down the road you want to return the card to a 100% functional state, such as if you want to sell it (which the person who sold it to you should have done, or at the very least disclosed this information.)

Reactions: spentshells

Andy2111

Prominent
Aug 24, 2021
As they told you, it seems that your card has a modified bios.
How do you feel it with the temps?
Personally I will recommend to put the official ones, only to be sure that anything strange was touched with the version that you are using.
You have to be sure to download it from a good source, and check with caution to the model.
Another model can brick the card, but if you download the correct one, everything should be working correctly.
Regards.

I am not very knowledgeable about how BIOS flashing a GPU. It might be possible that the BIOS being modified to run as an RX560 means you should try to download RX560 drivers instead of the RX460 drivers. I would do more research/wait for someone to confirm/deny this idea before trying it, so you dont brick the card.

artk2219

Distinguished
Hardware wise the RX 460 and RX 560 are identical, not similar revisions, but actually identical. Basically after a year AMD had gotten the process down enough that they could bump the clocks a bit and sell it as a newer card with around a 10% performance bump. Now some of the earlier silicon may not like running at those higher clocks and it could be unstable and if thats the case you should definitely flash the correct bios, but if its working as a RX 560, keep it as an RX 560.

Reactions: Colorblue
Aug 24, 2021
I am not very knowledgeable about how BIOS flashing a GPU. It might be possible that the BIOS being modified to run as an RX560 means you should try to download RX560 drivers instead of the RX460 drivers. I would do more research/wait for someone to confirm/deny this idea before trying it, so you dont brick the card.

Even thou i try installing the RX560 Driver and RX 460 Driver, it both says RX560 when im installing it.

FSR is surprisingly supported on that card,, latest drivers are a great option for you.
I would watch a video or two and read a bit before you proceed.
Here is the bios for your card.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/188868/sapphire-rx460-4096-160908
Here is the flash tool

Your card clearly can support the higher clock speeds. If you flash back the vbios overclock it to 1300Mhz.

Hardware wise the RX 460 and RX 560 are identical, not similar revisions, but actually identical. Basically after a year AMD had gotten the process down enough that they could bump the clocks a bit and sell it as a newer card with around a 10% performance bump. Now some of the earlier silicon may not like running at those higher clocks and it could be unstable and if thats the case you should definitely flash the correct bios, but if its working as a RX 560, keep it as an RX 560.
The 560 has 1024 shadders and the 460 has 896 according to tech power up.

Aug 24, 2021
FSR is surprisingly supported on that card,, latest drivers are a great option for you.
I would watch a video or two and read a bit before you proceed.
Here is the bios for your card.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/188868/sapphire-rx460-4096-160908
Here is the flash tool

Your card clearly can support the higher clock speeds. If you flash back the vbios overclock it to 1300Mhz.

Thanks for providing help with the Bios, i did try to flash the original bios but when i try it, it says SubsytemIDs mismatch.

artk2219

Distinguished
The 560 has 1024 shadders and the 460 has 896 according to tech power up.

There are two versions of it, one with 896 and one with 1024, why they didn't make that an RX 565 or 560 XT is beyond me. Then again why Nvidia made a GT 1030 DDR4 vs GDDR5 with less than half of the performance, or why AMD made an "RX 580" with the same shader count as a RX 570 is also beyond me. The different GTX 1050 versions come to mind as well, there are different shader counts between the 2gb and 3gb versions, and different memory bandwidth (96 vs 128bit with the 3gb and 2gb respectively). They've done some funky stuff with these recent generations.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-560

Last edited:
Wow
There are two versions of it, one with 896 and one with 1024, why they didn't make that an RX 565 or 560 XT is beyond me. Then again why Nvidia made a GT 1030 DDR4 vs GDDR5 with less than half of the performance, or why AMD made an "RX 580" with the same shader count as a RX 570 is also beyond me. The different GTX 1050 versions come to mind as well, there are different shader counts between the 2gb and 3gb versions, and different memory bandwidth (96 vs 128bit with the 3gb and 2gb respectively). They've done some funky stuff with these recent generations.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-560

I didn't know about the low count 560, the low count 470 was out for a while as well, only on aliexpress!

artk2219

Distinguished