My Ryzen 5 Build : component's compatibility

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
I have decided to build a budget gaming PC thanks to the arrival of the new Ryzen 5 lineup. My budget is around 750$ and have managed to round up the components I want, I would like confirmation that these are compatible and that there won't be any bottlenecking :

- Ryzen 1500x ( stock Wraith Spire cooler )
- RX 480 8Gb OC ( *got at a good price )
- 2 x 8Gb Corsair DDR4 Ram
- Asus PRIME B350M-A, AMD socket AM4 motherboard
- 550W PSU
- And the usual HDD + SSD , Case, Fans

I also plan on doing a bit of overclocking, do I need to buy a replacement CPU cooler or does the Wraith Spire do the job ? I also Heard that the new AM4 motherboards would'nt handle my 3000mHz RAM, will there be some update or am I better off buying cheaper 2 x 4Gb Ram at 2133mHz ?

Solution

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
I am saving 50$ by buying the 1500X instead of the 1600 so I will stick with that. As for the Motherboard thank you for giving me a better solution, the Gaming 3 will cost me only 20$ more wich is worth it if it can read up to 2933mHz Ram. But do you know if BIOS driver updates will exist so that motherboards like the previously mentioned Asus Prime can read faster memory ? (I am new to this, so if the last thing I just said doesn't make any sense ignore it)

what matt meant was, it sould read @ 2933 out of the box, some ram higher memory ram sticks wont even get recognized n boot up n others would run @ 2133. but when u update ur bois, u can set the ram speed by using AMP/XMP profile in the bios.
and yes, i stick with matt and advice u to go for a 1600. and if u r gaming @ 1080p, u can save some cash and go for a 4gb rx480.
cuz if u go for high res, i cant comment on CFX scaling with 2 480 and even @ 4k, 16gigs of vram is not required. 8gb is fine imo.

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Thank you for the response. I have decided to go with 8Gb of RAM (2400mHz) instead of the 16Gb (3000mHz), And to buy a MSI B350M MORTAR motherboard.
But I got a pretty good deal for the 1500X, and changing to a 1600 would add 50$ to my build wich is a little to much. I only plan on doing 1080p gaming so I would have thought that the 1500X is sufficient, Or do you strongly recommend it is worth saving up a little longer for a 1600 ? My B-day is in a weeks time and I would like to have my parts by then :/ .

ryzen benifits with higher ram speeds. and that trident z is one of the best. gaming wise, the 1600 is the better deal too.
if u wanna save some cash, i would recommend ditching the ssd for now and getting one later when u have the cash. all u loose is a bit of bootup and loading time and is worth it for the performance gains.
and that gaming 3 mobo has one of the best audio codec and has bling factor along with quality. i second matt's choice here.

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
I would Like to have Windows on my SSD. If I buy an SSD later on as you suggest, will I be able to move Windows onto my SSD from my Hard Drive ? Or does it need to be loaded on immediatly ?

as long as u have the product key u will be fine to install it again in the ssd since its considered to be a hardware upgrade. You’ll also be able to create your own installation media like a USB drive, and use that to reinstall after you’ve upgraded.

Tom Hell

Prominent
Apr 27, 2017
Thank you. I Have Taken Every thing both of you have said and updated my Build to the following :

- Ryzen 5 1600
- RX 480 8Gb OC
- 2 x 4Gb Corsair DDR4 Ram (2666 or 3000mHz )
- Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
- 550W PSU
- Only an HDD (for now), micro-ATX Case, 2 Fans

In the end I am going way over budget. I also can't seem to find the RAM you reccomend at a descent price (where I live) So i will have to do with the Corsair LPX.