[SOLVED] My Samsung 860 evo is running at 100% at random times

ilias01sid

Prominent
Nov 16, 2019
Hello everyone it's been a couple months since my computer started to have this weird problem that my SSD suddenly starts running at 100% and the whole system freezes so much that it isn't usable at all, i usually force shut it down and turning it on again and it takes minutes to boot on windows and when it does that after it boots it is also unusable on windows so i turn it off again, this can happen many times some of them it might actually boot normaly but other times it wont boot at all and force me to format it which i have done like 4 times the last 3 months...I have the ssd for around a year and a half and i haven't had any similar problems till the last few months The problem is obviously on hardware since after 4 formats it is still causing me problems, but i don't know which component is problematic,i am suspecting that it is either the motherboard or the ssd, my friend says that the controller on the ssd must be broken but before i send it back for guarantee i want to hear your opinion.
Thanks for the help.

My system
i5 2500k
asus p8p67
12gb ram
samsung 860 evo 250gb
nvidia gtx970
be quiet system power 9 (psu)

Note
My father is an electronic, he tested the psu and it did not seem to have any problem.

Last edited:
Solution
It's certainly possible the SSD has failed/is failing, but, you can try a new SATA port on mainboard, and a new SATA data cable, and even new SATA power cable if a spare is already dangling in your case...

It's possible a glitch has induced corruption into the OS, or, perhaps due to a RAM issue, or, failing mainboard...

If it is a one time corruption, you can delete your partitions and full reinstall to the SSD...

If you suspect possible RAM issues or general stability issues, perhaps an overnight Memtest86 run might expose such issues... (certainly if a computer can't run Memtest86 without erroring out, you cannot expect stability in anything else...)
It's certainly possible the SSD has failed/is failing, but, you can try a new SATA port on mainboard, and a new SATA data cable, and even new SATA power cable if a spare is already dangling in your case...

It's possible a glitch has induced corruption into the OS, or, perhaps due to a RAM issue, or, failing mainboard...

If it is a one time corruption, you can delete your partitions and full reinstall to the SSD...

If you suspect possible RAM issues or general stability issues, perhaps an overnight Memtest86 run might expose such issues... (certainly if a computer can't run Memtest86 without erroring out, you cannot expect stability in anything else...)

Reactions: ilias01sid
Solution

ilias01sid

Prominent
Nov 16, 2019

ok thanks for the help i ll try another sata cable, another sata power cable and the memtest86
The day i posted it this i took apart the computer and reassebled it again in case something wasn't fitted corectly, i reinstalled windows and till now it seems to work fine, but i don't really know if it's actually fine because most of the times after the install it takes a while untill the problem comes back.
Also i know this isn't the best thing but i have 3 sticks of ram and i refitted them differently than how the were before, although the system was running just fine for a year with the previous configuration.