Question My son is hacking my WiFi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2019
Please I need some help, I used to use BT access control to control when the Internet turns off my sons WiFi, I did this as he would be on the computer till 5am otherwise.

Anyway he tells me I can no longer do anything about it now as he has hacked into my WiFi and that there is nothing I can do about it, he says I can no longer block him and just laughs thinking he knows it all.

I changed to a new BT router which had different WiFi password and different admin password but he still gets access, i am using WPA2 with WPS disabled as I read about on here but still no luck. I also removed the sticker with login details off the router

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

You could always use Inclusive MAC address filtering. It is a bit of a pain, but you can block all network adapters except for the ones you specifically allow, then change your password. In some routers you can specify time limits for certain addresses to be allowed. It should be easy to figure out which computers have which addresses from the currently connected devices as it usually gives computer names as well.
Trivial to bypass via spoofing. Nothing more than a very small bump in the road.

Reactions: haggis0073
Sep 19, 2019
Not sure if that's the issue, but if your router has a WPS button, he could just click that, and his Device would be able to connect if it's supported. Might be able to disable that button somewhere in the settings.

Sep 18, 2019
That spoofing word has come up before in our arguments, i will have a read up more about that, he does not have his own router as when I put the new router in I never gave him password, when he got home he was connected within 10 mins somehow, WPS is disbaled

Dowell71

Commendable
Sep 14, 2019
Please I need some help, I used to use BT access control to control when the Internet turns off my sons WiFi, I did this as he would be on the computer till 5am otherwise.

Anyway he tells me I can no longer do anything about it now as he has hacked into my WiFi and that there is nothing I can do about it, he says I can no longer block him and just laughs thinking he knows it all.

I changed to a new BT router which had different WiFi password and different admin password but he still gets access, i am using WPA2 with WPS disabled as I read about on here but still no luck. I also removed the sticker with login details off the router

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
USE netcut arcai.com download the program and run it and kick his device

svalbaard

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Can you not factory reset the router while he's out and make sure the router admin password and actual wifi passwords are different, and then enable the controls that only enable internet access between certain times.

On my ASUS router I am able to specify specific access controls for each connected MAC address.

Sep 18, 2019
I have done this before and it makes no difference at all, he still gets access, i am trying net cut software at the moment as mentioned earlier on here so will see how that goes, i have changed my ssid, turned of WPS and made sure it's WPA2, changed all the passwords and admin passwords so will see what happens later

On a side note I paid the 1 dollar fee on net cut to get the pro version and it expired within 30 mins, its supposed to be a 1 month subscription, has anyone gone pro before using netcut

Sep 18, 2019
Will find out in the next 30 mins if it's worked,

I had a look at disabling admin over WiFi but I don't think the option is there on the bt home hub

I have also read about the r7000 router which you can set up a Vpn on, that will be my next possible option. If this net cut fails

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
^ something else to consider along that same line. My internet provider makes each of their system routers into a hot spot, available to other users of the same service. IE, I can log in to any Xfinity wireless point with my sign in.
I would suggest that kiddo probably knows your service username and password.
It is possible, if he has access to your computer, that he could have installed a keylogger and just getting the new info from you each time you use your device.

Kids these days are very smart and tech savvy. More than likely the methodology he is using to bypass your blocks are a mere lunchtime conversation at school.

I would utilize a known safe device to go change your service provider password and/or pin, change your email password, and would also follow the advice of simply unplugging the access point at times you don't want it used. If he is still online after that I suggest that he is either in a neighbors access point as previously suggested, or perhaps using a phone hotspot, etc.

In a case like this I think it would be best that you sit down and have an "adult" conversation with him about the my house, my rules situation. Give him the choice that either he decides to honor your wishes, as a parent, or he decides to go live elsewhere with a strong nod towards possibly outcomes that could entail. My wife and I were forced to have our daughter leave at a very similar age due to lack of respect for us and the house rules. That was 10 years ago and she is still making poor choices. "You can lead a horse to water...."

gamerbrehdy

Honorable
Jun 15, 2018
Here's another solution.

1. wire an extention cable into a sealed container. make sure your son can't acces the container.
  2. plug in one of those wireless outletswitches with a remote, like this:

1. plug the router into the switch.
  2. close the container securely, if possible with a lock.
  3. everytime your son's attitude is a no-go, you press "OFF" on that remote.

I'd imagine the "taking the AC wire with you" proces is cheaper, but this is easier, and doesn't require you to take out the cable everytime.

Sep 18, 2019
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice, I must say that this net cut software was the answer, big thanks to I think dowell and nighthawk. I installed this software and paid a dollar to go pro. There is a feature in there that stops all NEW traffic from joining once I had set all my devices up. He did however tell me he knew my new WiFi password and what he said was correct (no idea how he knew that) but with this software he was unable to log in

We have had a long chat (after the long rows) and I think he understands boundaries and respect. Although time will tell

Sep 18, 2019
Many many years of his behaviour and nothing really works, he has stopped the medication from his doctors now and no longer interacts with senco or his physiatrist, believe me we have been battling this for a while

But I do believe this was a genuine technology issue and has been solved, many thanks to those that helped with all suggestions 👍

Ralston18

Titan
Agree with @justin.m.beauvais

However, MACs are easily spoofed and often openly printed on other network devices.

Certainly worth a try but do not be surprised if he gets around inclusive MAC filtering (whitelist) in some manner.

---

Teenagers around here as well and the pre-teens are becoming almost as difficult. "Growing up too quick" as the expression goes.

Overall, I agree with the advice that you have been offered. Your situation is not at all uncommon but, unfortunately, there are few common solutions. Laundry, meals, mobile phone, car, etc. House rules - all good and very workable for the most part. Can be rough at first.

He will learn to do laundry very quickly the first time someone tells him that he stinks.... +1 for peer pressure.

Or he is being left out of his peer group because he has no mobile phone. Or cannot join his friends somewhere as there is no gas in the/his car.

I will ask "what battle do you wish to fight". With your work hours I would surmise that all you want (Battle #1) is some sleep without shouting and cursing in the background.

His threats work because you understand the consequences and he does not. Your threats (and those of any parent) do not work because he is not mature enough to understand or comprehend why his behavior is unacceptable at best. Risky and dangerous at worst. Hormones trump reason - nothing new about that.

Maybe do not fight the wireless battle at all.

Just let him have full access with the understanding that he does his "chores" and is quiet while online when you sleep.

Failing that - just hand him the next ISP/internet service bill. Tell him if he adheres to the rules you will pay the bill. If not, he pays it.

That s the deal. And just be ready to be offline. Funny thing is that that is not so bad sometimes....

Reactions: WildCard999
Status
Not open for further replies.