[SOLVED] My SSD and HDD keeps resetting to 'unallocated'. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2020
So i built myself a new Ryzen 5800x PC and things went pretty well except for few hiccups such as unable to boot in UEFI mode which i fixed recently thanks to this forum. But now i have run into this new problem where my two storage devices. My 1tb Samsung evo SSD and WD blue 2 tb HDD keeps resetting to unallocated. It wiped my data three times now and i don't know what to do.

Hard disk sentinel and crystal disk info show both my SSD and HDD are healthy. No bad sectors. I have changed the wires too but the result is the same. My NVME and Seagate 1 tb is fine though. The problem is repeating itself with only these two storage devices over and over again. Someone suggested to use DMDE but i have no idea how to read it. Any help would be appreciated. Here are the screenshots of my two storage devices right after it got unallocated.

ryyRGE1.png

qABWNGz.png

Any way to fix this annoying problem?

Solution
I have seen exactly the same problem in numerous threads. I'm convinced that there is a bug of some kind. AMD Ryzen CPUs, Gigabyte motherboards, and Windows 10 appear to be the common factors. Do you have a Gigabyte motherboard?

Notice the data pattern in sector 0. That's bogus data which has probably been written by the OS. I don't know why this happens, and I don't know where it originates, but the same pattern appears in other threads.

It appears that you have reinitialised your drives after the latest event. Please don't do that. That said, there is a simple recovery process involving a few clicks.

For your SSD, double-click the "SSD" volume and expand the $Root. Do you see your file/folder tree? If so, then r-click each of the...
I have seen exactly the same problem in numerous threads. I'm convinced that there is a bug of some kind. AMD Ryzen CPUs, Gigabyte motherboards, and Windows 10 appear to be the common factors. Do you have a Gigabyte motherboard?

Notice the data pattern in sector 0. That's bogus data which has probably been written by the OS. I don't know why this happens, and I don't know where it originates, but the same pattern appears in other threads.

It appears that you have reinitialised your drives after the latest event. Please don't do that. That said, there is a simple recovery process involving a few clicks.

For your SSD, double-click the "SSD" volume and expand the $Root. Do you see your file/folder tree? If so, then r-click each of the "Microsoft reserved" and "Basic data" partitions and select "Remove the partition". Then r-click the "SSD" partition and select "Insert the partition (undelete)". Then select Drive -> Apply Changes.

For your WD HDD, r-click each of the "BCF" volumes and expand the $Root. Verify that these are your original partitions. If so, then remove each of the black GUID partitions (Microsoft reserved, etc) as before. Insert the "WD 1" and "WD 2" BCF volumes and Apply Changes.

Reboot and allow Windows to redetect your drives. This won't address the root cause of your problem, but will provide a painless recovery.

Reactions: Blue_Link
Solution
Nov 23, 2020

For your SSD, double-click the "SSD" volume and expand the $Root. Do you see your file/folder tree? If so, then r-click each of the "Microsoft reserved" and "Basic data" partitions and select "Remove the partition". Then r-click the "SSD" partition and select "Insert the partition (undelete)". Then select Drive -> Apply Changes.

For your WD HDD, r-click each of the "BCF" volumes and expand the $Root. Verify that these are your original partitions. If so, then remove each of the black GUID partitions (Microsoft reserved, etc) as before. Insert the "WD 1" and "WD 2" BCF volumes and Apply Changes.

Reboot and allow Windows to redetect your drives. This won't address the root cause of your problem, but will provide a painless recovery.

I have an Asus rog Strix x570. I will do as you suggested next time it resets. These steps will only help with recovery but HDD can reset to unallocated again?

Nov 23, 2020
So an update. I ordered new sata cables online. Deleted the sata drivers in device manager. Rebooted in safe mode so that system can reinstall the device and drivers. Paritioned the SSD in safe mode.

Its been a week and so far SSD didn't allocate itself. Keeping fingers crossed. So if you have similar problem. You can try the above methods to see if it fix your problem.

Jan 19, 2021

You are an absolute legend. This advice saved me about a week of data extraction. I have the same issue as OP, with Ryzen (3600X) and Gigabyte x570 board. Today my 25TB of storage was suddenly unallocated after a restart. After hours of panicking, searching through forums and trying all sorts of stuff to recover my partition, your advice worked quickly and near effortlessly. I'm astonished. Thank you so, so much.

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
Guys, I just wanted to make TOPIC about my two SSD and two HDD went unallocated from nowhere.
I just bought 5800X, Gigabyte X570 Gaming X and after 3 days this happend.
But at DMDE when I expand "file tree" I only found Microsoft Reserved and I hit "Remove the partition", then I still have greyed out "Insesrt the partition".
Any help?

I can see in DMDE that all my files are there and recoverable, but can somebody give me detailed instruction how to fix this problem?

Last edited:

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
Update: I tried on this non-important SSD 120GB to format, and only when I format it will work and become located.
What to do with other SSD and 2 HDD with important stuff?

And more important, should I return motherboard? If this stuff is gonna happen very often then something is very wrong with mobo.
(5800x Ryzen, Gigabyte X570 Gaming X mobo)

fgermne

Prominent
Mar 29, 2021
If you formatted your drive, then you have made the problem a LOT worse.

The simple solution would have been to recover the "120" partition.
No problem, because that SSD 120 only had old windows on it. Thats why I formated to test.
After formating it is "located" and usable.
But others are still unallocated (I don't want to format them), one more SSD and two more HDD.

Is there a possibility that M.2 has made this problem? Because I have found that M.2 "kills" two sata ports (4 and 5 probably) and I have connected my SSDs and HDDs on SATA: 0,1,2 and 4.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
@fzabkar and @fgermne - Please continue this in the NEW thread on this topic.

Thanks.

Reactions: fgermne
Status
Not open for further replies.