Question My supplier router is bad and I need help understanding how I change it to a TP-LINK Router

flexy21

Prominent
Nov 5, 2018
So my internet supplier router is not very good in terms of wifi range and its quite weak, I have a 500 Mbps package now on cable I get 400-475 top, I don't expect to get the same result on wifi but I do want the range to get better. I have been advised to get a TP-LINK router so he will transmit the wifi because it will have a larger better range. So I understand I need to put an ethernet cable from the supplier router to the TP-Link one now on the tp-link side I need to connect it to the internet/GBE/WAN correct me if I wrong, now the thing is each router has a limit on the port I need, so if I get a router with the internet port with a max of 100mbps will it transmit 500mbps wifi as the supplier router does? ty for the help!

Reactions: Tioym

kanewolf

Titan
So my internet supplier router is not very good in terms of wifi range and its quite weak, I have a 500 Mbps package now on cable I get 400-475 top, I don't expect to get the same result on wifi but I do want the range to get better. I have been advised to get a TP-LINK router so he will transmit the wifi because it will have a larger better range. So I understand I need to put an ethernet cable from the supplier router to the TP-Link one now on the tp-link side I need to connect it to the internet/GBE/WAN correct me if I wrong, now the thing is each router has a limit on the port I need, so if I get a router with the internet port with a max of 100mbps will it transmit 500mbps wifi as the supplier router does? ty for the help!
With a 500Mbit ISP package, you HAVE to have a router with all gigabit wired ports. WIFI range is difficult. The radio power is limited by the government. Most routers perform similar because of that. The other problem with "long range" WIFI is that the device (table, laptop, phone) has to be able to transmit back. Most of the time the radio power on your device is lower than the router (to save batteries). So even if you can "blast" a signal to the device, it can't respond.
The best way to extend WIFI coverage is a wired connection of some kind to a second (or third) WIFI source. That way your device can transmit to the nearby WIFI source and that traffic is sent to the primary router via a wire. That wire can be an ethernet cable, or MoCA (coax) or powerline network.

flexy21

Prominent
Nov 5, 2018
With a 500Mbit ISP package, you HAVE to have a router with all gigabit wired ports. WIFI range is difficult. The radio power is limited by the government. Most routers perform similar because of that. The other problem with "long range" WIFI is that the device (table, laptop, phone) has to be able to transmit back. Most of the time the radio power on your device is lower than the router (to save batteries). So even if you can "blast" a signal to the device, it can't respond.
The best way to extend WIFI coverage is a wired connection of some kind to a second (or third) WIFI source. That way your device can transmit to the nearby WIFI source and that traffic is sent to the primary router via a wire. That wire can be an ethernet cable, or MoCA (coax) or powerline network.
You see I have 2 different ISP in my house with a different way of internet pipeline their router is not the same, one is transmitting for longer range than the other, that's why I need a different router that will transmit the wifi instead of the ISP horrible router, so you say I do need a router with the internet/WAN port that has up to 1gig limit in it in order the wifi it will transmit will get high to 500Mbps right? can you send me an example of such a device? for tp-link or any other good and not too pricy router that will get the job done?