Question My Surface Laptop Go 1943 no longer shows my Arris SBG6580-2 to connect to?

I was given this Surface recently, and initially it connected fine with my Arris modem, but it no longer shows my modem as a wireless connection. I have tried rebooting my wireless radio on my modem, resetting my modem's wireless settings to default (had it to 5GHz), and scanning for wireless APs in my modem/s wireless radio settings.

I'm rather illiterate when it comes to wireless technology, so please keep things as simple as possible. I need help getting it connected as it's useless to me with no net connection. It also needs some Windows updates.

As with any used device, did you do a full wipe and reinstall?

If not, why not?
No, as I figured since it's gotten very little use, system file problems wouldn't likely be the culprit. Instead I ended up Googling for Arris' recommendations for troubleshooting such a problem. They mention first just power cycling the modem, waiting until it's all the way booted back up, then power cycling the client device.

As soon as the laptop booted up, I knew it was connected to the net, because I saw MS' flood of do you want this or that. I didn't even have to look at the available connections and pick my modem like the first time I connected to it, it just automatically connected. I did however switch back to 5Ghz and turned WMM Power Saving off, the latter of which can help avoid reconnect problems.

I thought I had tried power cycling the modem and Surface before, but it could be I only rebooted it via the Wi Fi button, and restarted the Surface. You really need to completely power down the modem, wait for it to completely reboot, then power down the laptop, then start it back up. That's how these devices sync their "hand shake" best it appears.

Thanks for the reply, I only wish I'd not panicked and did that Googling first. It was probably my experience with Arris when I called them last time this happened telling me I'm past the 2 yr warranty on the modem and need to pay them a ridiculous amount just for answers to simple questions. That said, it's a pretty good modem for a pretty good price.

I'm now updated to W10 22H2, and Updates is even saying W11 is "coming soon". I seem to recall this device came with the option to install W11 when it's ready, but this device uses a scaled down version of Windows as it's less powerful. This thing is not strong enough to test any games I play on, but I can see how W11 runs programs I use.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
The Update to Win 11 will be $0, and may well fix the issues.

But for any used device, you're really trusting the previous owner, and everyone else whoever touched it, not to have done something really really dumb.
Which is why I always strongly recommend a full wipe and reinstall for any used device.

The Update to Win 11 will be $0, and may well fix the issues.

But for any used device, you're really trusting the previous owner, and everyone else whoever touched it, not to have done something really really dumb.
Which is why I always strongly recommend a full wipe and reinstall for any used device.
Sorry, I should have clarified, it was not a used laptop given by a friend, it was part of a giveaway, as well as a monthly discount on ISP service. It's part of the latest push to ensure everyone has access to the internet.