My system and future games

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017
Will I be able to max out the following games at 1920x1080 with my hardware setup?

Or will I have to upgrade to GTX 1180 when they are released?

*The Division 2
*Fallout 76
*Doom Eternal

*Core i7 8700K
*16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
*Two-way SLI GTX 1080
*Asrock Fatality Gaming K6 Z370 motherboard

Anyone that answers that will only be guessing, as there's no system requirements listed for any of those games yet. My guess is you'll be fine on that spec though at 1080p. I have same spec and am looking forward to Doom Eternal for sure. I was kinda excited when I heard Todd Howard say Fallout 76 can be played solo, but it sounds like there won't be an offline sp mode. If so that means no console commands or mods, which may be a big risk of losing lots of their fanbase. Pretty sure The Division will stay online only. Never played the first one.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1080p the only res you play in? For a Sli system thats quite overkill.

Anywho, you wont have any trouble running games at 1080p for a good three years.

Devision 2 and Fallout 76 if optimised well should run well with your rig.

Doom Eternal will be using Vulkan and this api doesn't require a lot to run well. Again if optimised. Expect performance bugs at launch with any game and keep your GPU drivers updated.

Nvidia's next gen cards are said to have a realease date of around October. Around when BF5 is released.

Gtx1080 will still be plenty for a long while yet @ 1080p. If i were you and wanted to upgrade when next gen cards drop id sell the two 1080s and use funds for a single 1180 or what ever it'll be called, only because support for sli isn't good if gaming is all i did.

Cioby

Distinguished
Can any moderator close this? Seems like a troll. A dual SLI 1080 working properly, will run anything like that at 4K 60 fps. You're asking 1080p without even specifying fps. With this configuration I'd say you need a upgrade if you're running 240 Hz monitor without Gsync.

And no **80 GPU runs better than the titan counterpart. Only the **80Ti runs faster or the same as the Titan.

USAFRet

Titan

The Magic 8 ball says.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why don't you wait until there is some game that your system does not play at the resolution and framerate you desire.
Then and only then....buy some new toy.

Didn't even see he's running 1080 SLI, JEEZ (blame my 60 yr old eyes). I agree there was no need to even ask.

Stop worrying about the 1180. All Nvidia has confirmed so far is it will support DXR (ray traced shadows), which most games won't even have for some time and will be if anything more of a performance drain than visual change.

I'll put it another way, you've probably seen the trailers of Metro Exodus by now, the only game said to have DXR support. It's really hard to see any difference DXR makes in those trailers. They were no doubt using a Titan V to render those trailers, since it's the only GPU right now that supports DXR.

Explain FPS drops. This is 1080p, correct?

Have you checked your drivers? SLI is not supported in several games fully, so there will be issues.

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

Yes, max settings @1920x1080

My fps drops to around 20-35 in certain areas of the games I listed.

Cioby

Distinguished
If the fps drop and remain there, then your SLI/GPUs have issues. Try running with just one GPU and see if it happens the same way in those areas.
Happens also if you have Gsync on, on some games, which is why I sometimes recommend against gsync, but only on some games and certainly not AAA games.

fordongreeman

Honorable
Nov 5, 2017

There are large textures and assets that have to be loaded on the fly.

Hard drives are slow at doing this.

USAFRet

Titan

So buy an SSD, test it on both drive types.
Report the results here.