Question My system goes into a restart loop when I try to install windows from a usb flash drive

Oct 2, 2022
The system is new. I have no OS installed yet.

After the bios splash screen it goes into a restart loop if I have the windows install media plugged in to the usb. Right before it shuts down I get AO on the motherboard.

I've used the Windows media creation tool and Rufus. I've tried Fat32, NTFS, MBT, and GPT. I'm using a brand new 32gig stick. I've tried every port. The result is always the same!

I've tried disabling secure boot and updating the bios too. It boots into the bios just fine if I don't have a flash drive plugged in.

I don't know what else to do. I've never had this problem.

CPU: I9-11900K
Motherboard: Aorus Z590 master
Ram: Trident DDR4 3600 32gig
SSD/HDD: Samsung 980 pro m.2
PSU: Corsair TXW 750 watt

Any suggestions?

Thank you the help!

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:

I've used the Windows media creation tool and Rufus. I've tried Fat32, NTFS, MBT, and GPT. I'm using a brand new 32gig stick. I've tried every port. The result is always the same!
You don't need to do anything of that nature, if you're using Windows Media Creation Tools, the tool does all the work for you. Make and model of your thumb drive and it's capacity?

How are you cooling that processor?

Oct 2, 2022
I just tried an 8 gig thumb drive with the Windows Media Creation Tool, had the same problem.

Would a 16 gig be worth trying? I'd have to buy one

Oct 2, 2022
I tired a new 16GB stick today, no change.

I'm not getting any error messages, just straight to reboot whenever the install flash drive is plugged in.

Is it possible that my motherboard or processor is bad?
Could it be my power supply?

I'm running out of things to check :cautious:

I tired a new 16GB stick today, no change.

I'm not getting any error messages, just straight to reboot whenever the install flash drive is plugged in.

Is it possible that my motherboard or processor is bad?
Could it be my power supply?

I'm running out of things to check :cautious:
Put a copy of memtest86 on a flash stick and see if it will boot.

If it does let it run......no errors allowed.

Oct 2, 2022
I fixed it!
I swapped the old 750w PSU for a brand new 1000w and the Windows install popped right up after booting to the flash drive.

Ether the MB or processor wasn't happy with the power it was getting.

Thank you all for your help!

Reactions: cAllen