My system, what cooler ?

seba_1

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
Ok, I'll start by saying I want to make a system that will mainly use memory ram
(64GB is what I need) for simulation purposes (not 3d simulations).
I'll be overclocking my system in the future.
I own the Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor so my system chosen so far is :

1.CPU : Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor
This is the only part I have bought so far.
2.Motherboard : ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX LGA2011-3
I find this motherboard is very cheap, but if you have a good reason to not buy it (incompatibility or some trouble, etc), let me know to not buy it.
3.Memory : Kingston Savage 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-2400
I was told in these forums, it's better to go with 1 kit of 4x16GB using 1 quad channel to not stress the memory controller and it would be better for overclocking purposes too than the 8x8GB using the 2 quad channels so given it will cost me 150 dollars more to get this kit than the 8x8, I think it will be the best value.
4. Storage :Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
I don't need an ssd for my simulations but I need a lot of storage so I'm going with this hdd.
5.Graphic Card : Asus GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
I need a graphic card so I have chosen what I think it's optimal for the money. I don't really need powerful graphic card.
6.Case : Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Ok, I was told this case is very strong so I just picked it up.
7.Power supply : EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
I was told I need a good power supply for my system so I have chosen what I think it's good, let me know if I have chosen this poorly.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7cgHP6

In general, if you find a better part that suits my needs better let me know.

Ok, said it all, my biggest problem is choosing a cooling system.

I have been told the Noctua NH-D15 is a very good cooler but after watching some videos on youtube I think it's too big and I may run into troubles with the motherboard. That's where I need help.

Will I have problems fitting the ram or video card with the noctua nh d15 on the ASRock X99 Extreme4 ATX?. Is it wiser to go with a liquid cooler system ?

Which cooler would you choose for the current system ?

Solution
Are you planning to OC? If not or if so and not a huge OC, could look at the Hyper 212 EVO which has adjustable fans if DRAM clearance plays in. Liquid cooling is an option also the Seidon 120 would be a good choice

seba_1

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
I found a cooler Master Hyper 212X (RR-212X-20PM-R1) for 35 dollars and the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (RR-212E-20PK-R2) is at 43 dollars

Given these prices, would you go for 212x ?. Or Evo 212 is much better ?