[SOLVED] My system won't load further than the initial bootup (BSOD)

Dec 21, 2018
Up until now, I have gotten the following messages with the Bluescreens:

APC INDEX MISMATCH (<- this one is the most frequent)
DPC WATCHDOG VIOLATION
KERNEL LOCK ENTRY LEAKED ON THREAD TERMINATION
SYSTEM THREAD EXEPTION NOT HANDLED
PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA

My system:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO
CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB, DDR4-3200, DIMM 288)
PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus 750 Platinum (750W)
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO 1x 250gb,1x 1tb | +1 older HDD of 2tb of seasonic I think

In detail:
The bluescreens started suddenly yesterday while starting my system. At this point, I was able to boot the system into windows and even open the Chrome browser. When I noticed the bluescreens first, I tried to reinstall my Windows. By selecting reset this PC it didn't work though, the computer was trying to do something and after a while, it gave me the message that Windows repair/resetting the pc didn't work. I was not even able to use a System saved image to reformat to a previous point. So I made myself a Windows 10 USB for a clean install, wiped my SSD with the Asus Driver tool and reinstalled windows. It worked for the first 20 minutes after installing Windows. After a while, I started getting the Blue screens again. It started getting worse and more frequent. So I wanted to reinstall again using the Windows 10 USB (because I was again not able to reset the PC without the USB)
At first, I was able to choose "Setup this PC" and further down the line the Bluescreens started appearing during the Windows installation. It has gotten so worse that I now get the Bluescreens when booting anything up. The only thing that works is the BIOS, I'm still able to get into that. But When I boot my Windows USB stick, it will crash at the loading circle again.

So I tried to troubleshoot and check which hardware is the issue.

First I removed my 2nd SSD of 1TB. Didn't work, same results.
Then I removed my HDD of 2TB. Didn't work, same results.
I tried removing one Memory Stick. Didn't work, same results.
Following I removed my 1st SSD of 250GB. Didn't work, same results.
At this point, I had no SSD nor an HDD plugged into the system. Still the same results.
I removed the GPU. Didn't work, same results.

So by now, I am at the point where I'm only using the motherboard, 1 Memory Stick and the CPU.
And yet I still get the same results; I boot my system, when the loading circle shows up it will freeze or disappear and the bluescreen will be shown.

I tried memtest86. Inserted the USB, the test started -> 10 seconds after the test, the PC shuts down on its own. 2nd try -> The PC shuts down before the test even begins. (No bluescreen is shown here while using memtest86)

This evening a friend of mine will come with different Ram Sticks, I will try using them and see if its the memory.

So besides that, what else could I still be doing at this point?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Solution
Try a different stick in PC if it is crashing from same one each time. No BSOD as you not running windows when you test ram

Is ram running at default speeds, not using XMP settings? Try resetting bios to defaults

all of these could be drivers or ram.

KERNEL LOCK ENTRY LEAKED ON THREAD TERMINATION isn't a typical error, its not I have seen before

After you reinstalled windows, did you think to go to Asus web site and make sure you had latest drivers? Updating BIOS might also help

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a different stick in PC if it is crashing from same one each time. No BSOD as you not running windows when you test ram

Is ram running at default speeds, not using XMP settings? Try resetting bios to defaults

all of these could be drivers or ram.

KERNEL LOCK ENTRY LEAKED ON THREAD TERMINATION isn't a typical error, its not I have seen before

After you reinstalled windows, did you think to go to Asus web site and make sure you had latest drivers? Updating BIOS might also help

Solution
Dec 21, 2018

Hi,

My Bios is at default settings. How can it be any drivers by this point if I may ask? I mean windows is not even installed anymore, Im pretty much crashing on bootup, even when trying to open another UEFI like memtest86 or USB windows.

But yes - when I was able to go into windows - I made sure to get all the newest drivers.

Could this be an CPU issue too? I will test my Ram this evening with one of another PC.

Thanks!

Dec 21, 2018

I tested the RAM by switching them out, still the same results. I think I won't go into much further testings as the PC is faily new. I just sent the mainboard and the CPU back for with waranty.

Problem with the CPU test is, that the PC won't even make it that far. He will just shut down before he can actually start the test. Same applied to memtest86, it always froze/shut down midtest (like 10 seconds after starting the test)