My UEFI mobo is allocating half my RAM to hardware unnecessarily..

Aug 10, 2018
Here's the issue. When in Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate or my prior Windows 10 OS, my system would and will read that I have 16gb of RAM in (4) 4gb sticks. However, it shows that I can only use 7.94gb of it. Now, I've tried every option under the sun given by online users for weeks now. Re seating the modules, changing options in the advanced startup or boot tab in MSCONFIG.. you name it, I've tried it. So, I ran resource monitor just on a whim, which is probably where I should have started in hindsight; and it shows more than half (8250mb to be exact) allocated to hardware. This means the bios is set to use the internal video rather than the NVIDIA GeForce 1050-ti i assume? or it's allocating the memory TO the NVIDIA card? I don't know.. does anybody have a clue about this type of thing?? the frustrating part of it is, if it wasn't a system I built myself using an MSI 970a Gaming pro Carbon mobo, it would allow me into the generic bios at startup that most of us are used to manipulating. Instead I have this flashy windows point-and-click MSI bios menu that because it's UEFI capable (I assume) doesn't allow or even show the video or the hardware allocation or where it's going. frustrating to no end. I'm afraid to max the board out with (4) sticks of 8gb at 32gigs.. spending that kind of cash only to find out I have less than 16 gigs useable because 1/2 is going to some unknown hardware or isn't but is allocated to it.. would have me throwing the rig out my back door and abandoning the whole pc thing i used to be SO into.. any advice?

Actually, this kind of error is usually caused by hardware problem with either RAM or RAM slots. The BIOS sees all the sticks as populated but for some reason can't use half of them. Start with testing each slot populated alone, if all work fine then test each channel alone.

Aug 10, 2018

Aug 10, 2018
Thanks DRagor, for taking the time to reply. I'll do what you suggest. Hopefully, if the problem persists.. you have other avenues I can pursue. short of buying new RAM or Mobo. I'll let you know when I do.

Aug 10, 2018
It's a No Go. frustrating. all the hardware checked thus far is running fine. it's a software issue somewhere. whether it be coding within the main board or something checked or unchecked elsewhere. even a character out of place in the registry..I just don't know. I do know I'm not the only one experiencing this problem. and there is NO WAY I'm going out to buy enough sticks to max it out at 32gb and watch as the system allocates half of that again for this unknown hardware. I'm seriously about to toss this computer out the back door. Let the sun beat down on it, followed by the rain and wind several months down the road. Then I'll just stand at my back slider early mornings with my cup of coffee in one hand and my new FUNCTIONING tablet in the other..and smile as I watch the elements torture it like it tortured me. That may be the only satisfaction I get out of this thing when all is said and done.