[SOLVED] My UPS makes clicking noises and my monitor turns black.

Jun 17, 2020
My monitor and pc is connected to the ups. the ups makes clicking noises and it turns black. will it damage my components? How can I solve it? help and thanks.

Solution
This may not be similar, but I have an APC Line-R voltage regulator. I know that when I get power outages, and the power comes back, it'll click and have trouble, and its voltage indicator lights are out. It seems that I need to
  • unplug everything from the APC
  • turn the APC off
  • wait a few seconds
  • turn the APC back on
  • plug things back into it
If I try to turn the APC off and then back on while things are plugged into it, it won't work.

But I do have to agree with the other posters, it seems like your UPS's capacity is too low. I just threw this suggestion in as a long shot based on similar symptoms.

Ralston18

Titan
When you say that UPS "turns black" do you mean all the UPS indicator lights go off?

Make and model UPS? Age, how many connected devices? Has the battery ever been replaced? Any surge protectors being used?

If you connect the monitor and pc directly to the wall outlet are there any problems?

Any power problems can cause damage to connected electronics and computers.

Do you have lots of power problems in your area? Surges, blackouts, brownouts?

Especially power surges etc.. Eventually any protective devices will suffer damage and problems will start.

Surge damage (joules) is cumulative and at some point there will be little or no surge protection.

Jun 17, 2020
When you say that UPS "turns black" do you mean all the UPS indicator lights go off?

Make and model UPS? Age, how many connected devices? Has the battery ever been replaced? Any surge protectors being used?

If you connect the monitor and pc directly to the wall outlet are there any problems?

Especially power surges etc.. Eventually any protective devices will suffer damage and problems will start.

Surge damage (joules) is cumulative and at some point there will be little or no surge protection.
My UPS doesn't go black my monitor does. My monitor is a Digitalx brand its a 650 va ups. I have just build my pc and bought the ups with it. my monitor and pc is connected to it. Yes we have a lot of power problems.

Jun 17, 2020

I meant my monitor turns black. I have a digitalx 650va ups I just built my pc and bought my ups with it. There are a lot of power problems where I live.

Ralston18

Titan
Find a time when your electrical service is stable.

Plug the pc and monitor directly into power outlets and temporarily do not use the UPS.

Does the computer appear to boot up? Does the monitor remain "black"?

If the pc still does not work, update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

I meant my monitor turns black. I have a digitalx 650va ups I just built my pc and bought my ups with it. There are a lot of power problems where I live.

You missed my first question (is the monitor actually plugged into a back up port and not just a surge port). I can find ZERO pictures or reviews for that UPS. I guess it only has two plug ports and they're both backup ports?

But I think your problem may be that the UPS only supports 360W.

Either that or the monitor doesn't like the square sine wave the UPS puts out when you're on battery power.

List your full system specs.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This may not be similar, but I have an APC Line-R voltage regulator. I know that when I get power outages, and the power comes back, it'll click and have trouble, and its voltage indicator lights are out. It seems that I need to
  • unplug everything from the APC
  • turn the APC off
  • wait a few seconds
  • turn the APC back on
  • plug things back into it
If I try to turn the APC off and then back on while things are plugged into it, it won't work.

But I do have to agree with the other posters, it seems like your UPS's capacity is too low. I just threw this suggestion in as a long shot based on similar symptoms.

Solution