[SOLVED] My WD Gold 12 TB HDD does not spin down at Windows 10 shutdown

zeus3freedom

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Hi, everyone!

I have the following problem: I've installed a new WD Gold 12 TB HDD inside my system (I have 2 other M.2 NVMe SSD's, one on which my OS is installed). My motherboard (Gigabyte xtreme x570) BIOS's SATA setting is AHCI.

The thing is when I shutdown the system, the WD drive seems to not spin down at all, the system's power is cut with it still running (some small clicks), fact also proven by the increasing of S.M.A.R.T attribute 'Unsafe shutdown count' or 'Power off retract count'.

I've tried manually spinning down the drive in Windows 10 with HDD scan and it spun down correctly, but when Windows shuts down it gets woken up (which is normal). So its just not spin down automatically as it should at OS shut down.

My previous system didn't have this problem with a WD Red, although it was an older system, it was always waiting for the drive motor to stop before cutting the power.

Any help is highly appreciated! I just don't know that to do anymore!

Solution
Is write caching enabled or disabled?

Have you checked the "Turn off Windows write cache buffer flushing on the device" setting?

Does your model have power loss data protection? If so, then any write data in the drive's RAM cache is backed up to its onboard flash memory using the stored energy in the spindle motor.
Is write caching enabled or disabled?

Have you checked the "Turn off Windows write cache buffer flushing on the device" setting?

Does your model have power loss data protection? If so, then any write data in the drive's RAM cache is backed up to its onboard flash memory using the stored energy in the spindle motor.

Solution