Question My wife has a faster LAN connection than me ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Ok, I am having the same issue.

I started the download for ff14 since the wife and I were thinking about playing that again and her download speed is 25 and mine is like... 1.4 and I started the download about 10-15 minutes before hers. Its driving me mad trying to figure this out. I thought for sure the cables were the issue but it doesn't seem that way.

*Edit* I just downloaded the Realtek ethernet driver since someone else said it might be that. No change. Specifically I downloaded the Realtek PCIe FE / GBE / 2.5G / 5G Ethernet Family Controller Software.

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I wonder whether you were downloading the file from a different server than your wife.
Gaming companies have a lot of servers with different IP but with same domain name and rotate these servers frequently in order to do load balancing. You just happened to be directed to a very slow server quite often?

use Network Traffic View & CurrPorts to see if that's the case

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/network_traffic_view.html

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

And check ethernet link speed when it's slow. We don't care what led color it's blinking / solid because each vendor is different.

Last edited:

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
I wonder whether you were downloading the file from a different server than your wife.
Gaming companies have a lot of servers with different IP but with same domain name and rotate these servers frequently in order to do load balancing. You just happened to be directed to a very slow server quite often?

use Network Traffic View & CurrPorts to see if that's the case

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/network_traffic_view.html

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

And check ethernet link speed. We don't care what led color it's blinking / solid.
How do I check link speed?

Also, in previous tests on the front page of this thread it looks like I was routed to one server and my wife to another when we did the speed test. It might be a routing issue, I suppose. Not sure how I'd go about fixing that but I'll look into the links and do some google searches in the AM when I wake up. Thanks for the help!

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
How do I check link speed?

Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, you will see connected network icon. Click the adapter.

2PD4QIH.png

Last edited:

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Control Panel, Network and Sharing Center, you will see connected network icon. Click the adapter.

2PD4QIH.png

My link speed is the same as the one you show here.

*Edit* - I was thinking I might have to tracert to see how my computer and my wife's computer are being routed. Since it's not a regular thing I do and I'm not sure to which server this game launcher is directing me I was googling some information. One of the websites I found (Ubisoft, go figure) was saying double NAT may cause problems. On my computer the tracert to google.com shows that I am going through my local ip (you know, the standard 192.number.number) but also through another that's 10.number.number and I am not sure this is causing problems but it was weird. It might be normal/fine but at this point I just want to give up as much information as I can even if it's possibly not the problem.

The tracert to google.com on the wife's computer is the same... I don't think I have a particular DNS server setting in my router that could be causing issues...

Anyways, good morning! It's Wednesday where I'm at. Almost the weekend. Hope y'all are doing swell.

Last edited:

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
As mentioned above, servers keep rotating nowadays. You could be using same DNS but still get different server. Servers are distributed / scattered around the world for almost for all big companies. They all use CDN (content delivery network)

You also have to test your speed using same website like www.speedtest.net or www.fast.com, etc. You shouldn't use game download server for comparison. Game download servers' speed is always non predicable, even same server. they can always limit (adjust) download speed on the fly.

Last edited:

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
As mentioned above, servers keep rotating nowadays. You could be using same DNS but still get different server. Servers are distributed / scattered around the world for almost for all big companies. They all use CDN (content delivery network)

You also have to test your speed using same website like www.speedtest.net or www.fast.com, etc. You shouldn't use game download server for comparison. Game download servers' speed is always non predicable, even same server. they can always limit (adjust) download speed on the fly.
While I do get that I may just be getting the short end of this routing stick I think it would be reasonable to assume that sometimes my wife gets the short end too if it's all random. That has never been the case for multiple download items. She consistently gets 25 and I get 3. Steam, private client download, it doesn't matter. Which is why I think something is up and there is more to this than just bad luck.

The speed tests in the very beginning of this thread do show that there was massively reduced speed on my rig which we attributed to the Ethernet cable and now I am not so sure. I'll do some speed tests again and see what if any variability between us there is.

js2

Jul 16, 2024
Usually it will be turning off the QoS service. But it could your router is prioritizing one connection over the other as its been set to.

Another factor could be one of you has Gigabit Ethernet, the other not.

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Usually it will be turning off the QoS service. But it could your router is prioritizing one connection over the other as its been set to.

Another factor could be one of you has Gigabit Ethernet, the other not.
We are both running the same wires. My link speed is 1 Gbps.
*edit* I also started the download well before her computer was even on so it doesn't feel like a priority setting. I looked in my router and didn't see anything there either.

I just did the speed test and we are roughly equal (within expected tolerance of ~1-5 Mbps). When I did the speed test her computer was routing to SF and mine to SJ.

Assuming the issue I am experiencing is related to my computer being routed differently, how would I go about testing/fixing that? Would I want to use something like Wireshark? Setup a static DNS in my router?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Routing are determined by your ISP, you have no way to change it unless you use VPN service. Even then, you still won't be guaranteed to use the same route all the time. ISP/VPN provider can always change route for different reasons.

I'm not familiar with Wireshark, even though I did use it for a few times before.

Have you used the Network Traffic View tools? Compare your PC to your wife's PC.

You can only compare the result if the source IP address is the same.

Last edited:

Therow

Reputable
May 19, 2021
Routing are determined by your ISP, you have no way to change it unless you use VPN service. Even then, you still won't be guaranteed to use the same route all the time. ISP/VPN provider can always change route for different reasons.

I'm not familiar with Wireshark, even though I did use it for a few times before.

Have you used the Network Traffic View tools? Compare your PC to your wife's PC.

You can only compare the result if the source IP address is the same.
Not sure what those tools are.

Third party or native to windows? Recommendation if third party?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
see post # 30

3rd party. completely free. Very easy and used by many people and the tools have existed for years

Do a sorting by data /packets size and you immediately know what server and IP you are connected to.

Last edited:
Reactions: Therow