My Windows 8.1 is Corrupted and Can't Find a Way To Fix it That Doesn't Have an Error.

Jun 23, 2018
Last week, some of my drivers for certain pieces of hardware randomly stopped working - then would crash the PC every time I tried to reinstall new ones. Then my Windows Updater, which kept giving me a Code 80070002 even though it claimed I had almost 100 updates. I tried doing an SFC scan. Which gave me an error saying it found corrupt files but couldn't fix them. So I ran a Dism restore. Which just gives me the error that it can't find the files it needs. So I downloaded the 8.1 ISO and directed it to that. Same error anyway.

I've since moved from my father's house about 900 miles away which has my original Windows CD and key, so I tried using the ISO to create an image to refresh Windows from. Everything appears to go well until it boots after saying Windows is Refreshing Your PC - 100%, then I log back in, and I get yet another error saying There was a problem refreshing your PC, no changes were made. I click the prompt that says it will attempt to resolve errors, a window pops up, then vanishes.

I don't know what else to do. I've contacted TWO Microsoft techs, who attempted to remotely fix it and all they did was delete my temp files then restart the computer and I never heard from either of them again. I've been trying to fix my stupid computer all day and am so close to just throwing the whole thing in a dumpster. Anyone have any ideas how to fix my broken windows without the original CD and product key?

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
What are your specs? You can run and install unlicensed Windows 10 with only a few limitations, none of which would would prevent you from normally running your PC.

And you don't want a restore at this point. You want to wipe the hard drive and do a complete fresh install. Sounds like you have a real tangled mess in there for which a simple refresh is inappropriate.

Jun 23, 2018

Do I just download and run the ISO for windows 10? What exactly are these limitations?

My hardware specs -
OS - Win 8.1; 6.3.9600
Mobo - Asus 7 Hero
CPU - i5 4690k
GPU - Gtx 780
SSD - EVO 250
HDD - Caviar Black
RAM - 8GB Corsair Vengeance
PSU - EVGA Supernova 1000W

DSzymborski

Titan
I think you mean a 4690k, but that works fine anyway.

When you don't register for Windows 10, you lose out on some personalization options like customizing the wallpaper and you get a little text notice on the bottom right of the desktop that asks you to activate Windows. Other than that, it works normally and it's a lot easier, at this point, then installing Windows 8.1. Just go to the Microsoft site and run the Windows Media Creation tool.

Jun 23, 2018

Alright I'm gonna go buy some new flash drives tomorrow to back up my files and make a ISO boot. Would upgrading to 10 really be better though? I thought I remembered reinstallations of Windows being able to reactivate the product key automatically from the Microsoft servers though I might be wrong.

DSzymborski

Titan

Windows 10 will at least hold you over to get your PC running until you get your key. Given that Windows 8.1 dropped out of mainstream support earlier this year, it's a reinstall is a good opportunity to get to Windows 10.

Solution