Discussion My Windows to Mac migration! :-)

Jun 8, 2022
I've been dedicated to Microsoft Windows and Personal Computer (PC) hardware & software technology since I discovered small computers (around 1982). Computer Operating Systems today are dominated by the "Big Three" (Google, Microsoft & Apple). I've had several decades of experience with Microsoft Windows & Google Android (non-Mac) computer Operating Systems. Sometime in May 2022, I decided to finally do a fair comparison of Apple's Operating Systems (MacOS & iOS) to the other "Big Three" players (Microsoft Windows & Google Android).

I must now conclude that Apple computer Operating Systems (MacOS & iOS) are superior to all others on the planet! OMG - I now must recover from FALLING OUT OF MY CHAIR!!! :)

Google & Microsoft have a combined worldwide market share of 72.4 %. Apple has only 23.48 % (May 2022). I think is due to strong marketing and en vogue aspects of our society.

For several DECADES now, I have been ignoring a very powerful and sophisticated aspect of computer technology! This is all about to change now! For starters, I've learned that Microsoft Windows is little more than a CRUDE COPY of the Apple Macintosh Operating System (MacOS).

I haven't done the research yet but suspect that Google Android is also little more than a CRUDE COPY of the Apple iOS (for smartphones).

MANY wealthy & powerful companies seem to be imitating technology created by Apple, Inc!

The following table summarizes the 4 small computers that I own and am replacing with Apple products:

Computer Type​
Current Ownership​
Future Ownership​
SmartPhone (handheld computer)Samsung Galaxy A51 5G. Listed on eBay 6/5/22. (Android based).Apple iPhone SE, 3rd Generation, 2022: 64 GB capacity, 4.7" Retina LCD display, A15 Bionic chip 6-core CPU, 4K video recording, 5G, Wi-Fi 6, Bluetooth 5.0, purchased 5/30/22 new from AT&T for $430.00 (iOS based).
Tablet ComputerSamsung Galaxy Tab A: 8.0" (2019) 32 GB Wi-Fi, model # SM-T290. Sold on eBay 5/23/22 for $50.00. (Android based).
TBD​
Laptop ComputerLenovo IdeaPad S340: 15.6", Intel Dual Core i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Sold on eBay 5/25/22 for $200.00. (Windows based).Apple MacBook Air: 13" Early 2015, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD purchased 5/6/22 used from eBay for $259.00 (MacOS based).
Desktop ComputerDell Inspiron 3880 Desktop PC: Intel Core i5 (CPU) + 22" LED monitor (bundle). Listed on eBay 5/24/22. (Windows based).iMac 24" (11.5 mm thick) All-In-One computer with Retina 4.5 K display: Apple M1 CPU, 8 GB memory, 256 GB SSD, purchased 5/13/22 new from BestBuy.com for $1,299.99 (MacOS based).

D

Deleted member 362816

I would hardly call windows crude as it is more inclusive and often the hardware is more affordable for the masses, Same goes with Android.

Apple controls both the software and the hardware so they can just charge whatever they want and people who use it will just go out and buy it.

That being said iPhone are easy to use and hard to screw up and the higher end models have some very good cameras.

Macbook pros the 2012-2015 models were built very very well.

All of that being said Apple does not care much about PC gaming / Only iOS games so they will never gain traction in that aspect.

I prefer windows and android but I have owned this device list.

Iphone 6+,7+,8+,XS,11

Mac pro 2012-2015-2018

Mac Air 2012

Mac Mini M1

That all being said I prefer to be able to game with current hardware m1/max didn't live up to there claims about being as fast as a 2080ti by a long shot. I always ended up selling these because I never used them. I do enjoy the resale value of apple products though.

Reactions: Timothy1027
Google & Microsoft have a combined worldwide market share of 72.4 %. Apple has only 23.48 % (May 2022). I think is due to strong marketing and en vogue aspects of our society.
It actually has more to do with Google and Microsoft allowing their operating system to be used on any hardware platform that's compatible with the OS. Android in its entirety is also open source, which makes it an attractive choice for budget phone companies.

For several DECADES now, I have been ignoring a very powerful and sophisticated aspect of computer technology! This is all about to change now! For starters, I've learned that Microsoft Windows is little more than a CRUDE COPY of the Apple Macintosh Operating System (MacOS).
The only thing I would say that Microsoft copied was the windowing system, which Apple thought they had a monopoly of at the time (this was I think the late 80s, early 90s). But even then, Apple copied Xerox.

Otherwise the current versions of Windows is based off of Windows NT, which had influence from DEC's VMS as one of its key developers moved to Microsoft. I would argue the UI/UX was always distinct from how Apple did things, and really you could argue back and forth who copied who. At the end of the day, each desktop environment has its quirks and ways of doing thing. If you like how one desktop environment does things over another, that's fine. But that doesn't make another environment worse.

For instance, one thing that annoyed me with macOS was closing a window didn't mean closing the app. It just meant closing the window.

I haven't done the research yet but suspect that Google Android is also little more than a CRUDE COPY of the Apple iOS (for smartphones).
Android got started in 2003. Steve Jobs started planning the iPhone in 2005. So no, Android is not a "crude copy" of iOS. Besides both "copy" features from each other in more or less equal amounts

Also there was already a smartphone platform on the market with wide success: Blackberry. It's very likely when the iPhone was first released, it was called a "Blackberry clone." Not to mention Palm and Windows Mobile also had an established foothold. But if anything else, Android was taking cues from Blackberry more so iOS. And even as the years went on, I would argue the metaphor for how to present stuff was basically prior art. Just because it's on a new platform doesn't mean "icons on a screen" is unique or novel.

MANY wealthy & powerful companies seem to be imitating technology created by Apple, Inc!
I would argue Apple rarely creates anything novel on its own (at least since the late 90s). It simply integrates features from other products that someone else did. The only difference is Apple, at least since Jobs was in charge, set a high bar so that said features were integrated with purpose, rather than a gimmick to be used as a selling point.

Also today, copying Apple is a terrible idea. The reason why Apple removed the headphone jack from the iPhone purely a business strategy to sell more wireless audio products. This is on top of their products being really hard to repair or service by the average person.

Last edited: