My windows xp sound is not working speakers are greyed out

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyH

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
PLEASE HELP ME!

for the last 3 years i have tried everything.
The speakers are greyed out when i go to check on why i have no sound.
My friend in Calif. sent this comp to me in 2008 she said it had sound for her.
I wonder if she accidently removed something when she cleaned out alot of her files, or if something got damaged in shipping.
Anyway, i checked Device Manager and it says device working properly.
But then in another area it says audio not installed!!!!!!

So, WHAT THE HECK?

Please advise.

A guy came to my house to check it, and all he could say was, i needed more memory, but WHY would it work in the past with the same memory it has now?

Wendy. :pt1cable:

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Enabling Sound in Windows XP

Install the drivers for the sound device. If the sound hardware came with an installation disc, insert the CD into the drive and follow the prompts. If the sound device does not have a disc, contact the manufacturer or download the drivers from the manufacturer's website. To check the system for sound devices, go to "Start," "Control Panel" and "Sound and Audio Devices." The primary sound device will be shown in the top of this window.

Check the "Audio Devices" properties window for muted volume or the volume bar set to minimum. Either of these will cause the sound to not work.

Check "Device Manager" for improper settings or problems with the device. Go to "Start," "Control Panel" and "System," then select the "Hardware" tab, then press the "Device Manager" button. A list of hardware will be displayed. Audio devices are under "Sound Video and Game Controllers." The device will be titled the same as it appeared in the "Sound and Audio Devices" window in the "Control Panel." By double clicking on the device, it will display the properties. There is a selection at the bottom of the first tab that will display whether the device is "Enabled" or "Disabled." Any conflicts will also be given in the form of small exclamation marks.

Check the volume knob on the physical speakers.

Welcome to the Forum!

WendyH

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hi,

thank you for answering so promtly.

YES! heavens i have tried what you mentioned long ago, in fact, the speaker volume and "mute" button are both "greyed" out, so i am helpless.
Also when i try to install drivers with the Disk that it came with it does not work but i cant remember why, let me try to insert Disk again and see what happened.
Plus when i check on the last thing you memtioned, it tells me that it IS "enabled"

please advise.

thanks,

Wendy.

Stan007

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012

Yoa there from stan007
Running Xp? Should have 2 disks for installing windows on pc; after installing windows and find that all sound, speakers, etc are all greyed out. Place drivers disk into computer, explore that disk you'll see a folder named ' snd ', click that, click Realtek; ~ after that is installed, if still greyed out, go back, click, hot fix for realtek; enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.