my wireless router is slowing down my internet speed

solidrok

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014
I have Comcast internet and am paying for 25mbps. I have my own Motorola SB6121 as a modem. When Use Ethernet and connect to my modem I get 25-28mbps. I also have a gigabit connection between my computer and my modem. Once I connect my NETGEAR Wireless Router - N300 (WNR2000) the connection goes down to a low range of 1-7 mbps. I understand there could be a loss of speed and I was wondering if there is anything I could do to use my current router or if buying a new one would be better. Btw I am in a 1000 square foot apartment that is mostly open and there is no other 2.4 ghz signals in between my router and my wireless devices.

solidrok

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

like i said the router is in a 1000 sqft apartment so its max 15 feet away... and there are a ton of other wifi sources, how do i change the channel?

USAFRet

Titan

Inside the router config. Possibly change it off the default channel. All your neighbors are also using that same default.

solidrok

Reputable
Feb 16, 2014

my default was set as auto should i pick a certain one?
also i noticed a very odd thing when i was looking in the router config.
when i look to see who is on i get this
MFDw4zn.jpg

when i refresh i get this
L6emSiQ.jpg

peanut95

Reputable
Jul 27, 2014

Hi,

I also had the same problem, and changing the channel didn't help.
You can try updating the firmware version of your router, I worked for me.

mdmatusiak

Reputable
Jul 24, 2014

Yeah, my firmware is updated to the most recent, V1.2.0.6_36.0.58, and I changed my channel as well. It was 6, like the neighbors, now it is 11. I only have two neighbors networks around me. Both houses are about 30-50yds away.

Any other ideas, anyone?

In a potentially congested area, you need to determine how many other networks are coming into your apartment, and what channels they are using. This can be done with free software such as inSSID.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/5936-inssider.html

Once you have run that, you can see what channel the other networks are on, and you can choose another one (hopefully). On the 2.4 GHz band, remember that there are really only 3 channels to choose from, namely 1, 6 and 11 due to channel bonding.

In my experience, it seems that many routers seem to default to channel 1, and you may be better off on 6 or 11. The other solution is to upgrade to AC as it is less congested and you are more likely to find a free channel.

scocquit

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014

Go here. Read instructions. Follow them. Problem is fixed. I have Netgear N300 wireless router and motorola surfboard. Was getting around 20mbps, and now getting 50+mbps with comcast(what I was paying for the whole time....). Hope this helps. It helped me.

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Basic-Internet-Connectivity-And/Low-internet-speed-resolved-Linksys-E900-router/m-p/1314593/highlight/true

nuix0923

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
when you attach a router to any kind of modem, the internet speed will slow down due to the fact of overhead issues.
but it shouldnt be that much of a downfall...
try getting a new modem and see if the problem persits. if it does, try getting a new router and see if the problem persits.
call comcast and seek for further assistance when it all fails.
keep us updated

nsartor

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

nsartor

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I have a belkin n300 and it was slowing my download speed from 17 to 5! Upload was the same at 1. Tried updating firmware - nothing. Tried disabling QoS but the option was grayed out and wouldn't let me! Finally disabled "Intellistream" option and all is good!

John Kearns

Reputable
Mar 7, 2014
You need to call you cable company for a list of specific wireless modem/routers that they are currently using. The software your cable company uses is made for specific model routers.

If they don't sync up, you won't get the maximum speed. They usually have a list. You can then either rent them or buy.

The ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard SBG6580 300mps combo modem/router is very popular and has come down significantly in price.

TRENDING THREADS