My xbox one refuses to format my external hard drive.

FenixFurioso

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
hey, I recently bought a Seagate 2tb external hard drive. as soon as I get to the name the drive it just starts buffering/loading. nothing happens and ive waited like an hour plus. I looked on different forums/xbox support but nobody seems to be asking this exact question, so there is very little info to help me. I've tried ntfs formatting it on my laptop but that didn't help at all. somebody mentioned making a partition but I wouldn't know where to start or if it would even work.

any help would be gratefully appreciated

Solution
Hey there, FenixFurioso!

I'd recommend you to test the external HDD on your laptop using its manufacturer's diagnostic tool to check up on the health and SMART status. You should be able to find it on their website, just make sure you run both the long and the short test. In case that doesn't do anything, you might also try plugging the HDD with a different USB cable. If you encounter any errors, you should contact their customer support and RMA the drive.

Hope this helps though. Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, FenixFurioso!

I'd recommend you to test the external HDD on your laptop using its manufacturer's diagnostic tool to check up on the health and SMART status. You should be able to find it on their website, just make sure you run both the long and the short test. In case that doesn't do anything, you might also try plugging the HDD with a different USB cable. If you encounter any errors, you should contact their customer support and RMA the drive.

Hope this helps though. Keep me posted! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution

FenixFurioso

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Hey thanks for the post. Just in case you come across this again it was the preview dashboard update. I had a friend format it on his xbox one and it did the trick. that or they've update the problem

TRENDING THREADS