[SOLVED] My younger brother played a video game on my laptop on high settings which are not intended for it's specs.Will my laptop be okay?

Jul 18, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
I have an Asus X509FJ laptop which I bought last week.My laptop has an Intel Core i5-8265U processor,Geforce MX230 GPU and 8 GB ram.My little brother decided to play Forza Horizon 4 on higher than optimal settings for a few minutes on my laptop.I was unwilling to let him play on such high settings and warned him that my laptop is not capable of bearing the load of such high graphics but he didn't listen to me and told me that nothing bad would happen.So what I want to know is that will my laptop be okay?

Solution
I have an Asus X509FJ laptop which I bought last week.My laptop has an Intel Core i5-8265U processor,Geforce MX230 GPU and 8 GB ram.My little brother decided to play Forza Horizon 4 on higher than optimal settings for a few minutes on my laptop.I was unwilling to let him play on such high settings and warned him that my laptop is not capable of bearing the load of such high graphics but he didn't listen to me and told me that nothing bad would happen.So what I want to know is that will my laptop be okay?

I'll give you a straight answer....I think it's just what you want to hear...I tried overclocking my GPU on my laptop and put the thermal degrees that it would reset at, @ 85c. If your laptop goes above 80c, time to pull the...
Two things can happen..
  1. It runs poorly, with low frames, or is near unplayable.
  2. It causes the system to run hot, for which the system has failsafes..the gpu and/or cpu will throttle down to reduce heat, leading to the same experience as #1.

It shouldn't harm the system, it just won't be fun.

Jul 18, 2020
Two things can happen..
  1. It runs poorly, with low frames, or is near unplayable.
  2. It causes the system to run hot, for which the system has failsafes..the gpu and/or cpu will throttle down to reduce heat, leading to the same experience as #1.
It shouldn't harm the system, it just won't be fun.

Hello there,are you sure it wont cause any permanent damage to my laptop?
And thanks for replying to my post.

Hello there,are you sure it wont cause any permanent damage to my laptop?
And thanks for replying to my post.

Why would someone reply one way then change their mind if you said "are you sure"? The only thing that will happen to a computer if you play a game it can't handle is that it will run the game slow, a lot of people freak out that running programs on their computers will somehow damage them but that is all just faulty thinking. Only way you can damage your system is if it's kept running hot without good ventilation or you try to overclock it and overheat the system.

Jul 18, 2020
Why would someone reply one way then change their mind if you said "are you sure"? The only thing that will happen to a computer if you play a game it can't handle is that it will run the game slow, a lot of people freak out that running programs on their computers will somehow damage them but that is all just faulty thinking. Only way you can damage your system is if it's kept running hot without good ventilation or you try to overclock it and overheat the system.

Well,it did get pretty hot when the game was running at that settings,that's what i'm tensed about.

Well,it did get pretty hot when the game was running at that settings,that's what i'm tensed about.

You can install a program to monitor the temps, most laptops get hot when playing games, as long as it's in the mid 80s that is fine. HWMonitor is good to use, install it, run it, then run the game for a bit. Check what the max temps are, it will be recorded in the program.

Jul 18, 2020

anceintsz

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2012

I'll give you a straight answer....I think it's just what you want to hear...I tried overclocking my GPU on my laptop and put the thermal degrees that it would reset at, @ 85c. If your laptop goes above 80c, time to pull the plug. It's not really good for longevity.

Solution