[SOLVED] My Z-87 tells me everything is fine, but the USB ports and graphics are unresponsive

Jul 6, 2020
This seems like a bizarre situation. There are no red lights on the motherboard indicating any issues at all. When I turn it on, it sounds like it's working normally. Yet, USB devices such as my keyboard and mouse do not light up and it doesn't connect to my monitor. Not just the dedicated GPU but even the on-board graphics.
I have successfully tried the monitor with the same cable with another computer.

Solution
Thank you for your reply. I've rebooted it several times with no luck. I noticed that when I plug in my mouse it reacts the same way as when I plug it in to a laptop in sleep mode. It lights up a few seconds and then goes dark again. This must mean the motherboard is at least recognizing that something is happening.
You could try resetting the CMOS on the motherboard, there is usually a jumper and 3 pins on the board or you can remove the battery
This seems like a bizarre situation. There are no red lights on the motherboard indicating any issues at all. When I turn it on, it sounds like it's working normally. Yet, USB devices such as my keyboard and mouse do not light up and it doesn't connect to my monitor. Not just the dedicated GPU but even the on-board graphics.
I have successfully tried the monitor with the same cable with another computer.
My old z77 would sometimes not register the usb mouse and keyboard, and very occasionally not display the video out. When the usb didn't work I would reboot and it would be fine and when the display was blank I would unplug the monitor power cable and plug in back in. For some reason that would fix it.

Neither issue has happened since replacing the cpu, motherboard and ram. I guess it was the z77 motherboard but am not entirely sure.

Jul 6, 2020
My old z77 would sometimes not register the usb mouse and keyboard, and very occasionally not display the video out. When the usb didn't work I would reboot and it would be fine and when the display was blank I would unplug the monitor power cable and plug in back in. For some reason that would fix it.

Neither issue has happened since replacing the cpu, motherboard and ram. I guess it was the z77 motherboard but am not entirely sure.

Thank you for your reply. I've rebooted it several times with no luck. I noticed that when I plug in my mouse it reacts the same way as when I plug it in to a laptop in sleep mode. It lights up a few seconds and then goes dark again. This must mean the motherboard is at least recognizing that something is happening.

You could try resetting the CMOS on the motherboard, there is usually a jumper and 3 pins on the board or you can remove the battery

Solution
Jun 24, 2020
When I run into issues like this on a computer, I take the time to clean out the case, extract and reseat all the cards, power connectors and RAM. That often sets things right...