Myst Is Becoming A TV Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
While Myst was visually stunning, at that time, it simply won't make it today as a game or a TV show. It is simply too slow for an audience with zero attention span. Flop, at best, regardless of venue.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
How… why… what? I mean come-on, it's a game that thrives on creating a haunting, lonely atmosphere with puzzles to solve, often through a lot of thought, reading, exploration or just plain frustrating trial and error, how in the hell are you supposed to adapt that to a TV series? My money's on it either being boring, stupid or both.

They really just want to cash in on the Myst name, probably to make something a bit like Lost. A mysterious steam-punk style series could be great, but if they force it to have the Myst name then it's probably just going to alienate fans and make other people wonder why they should watch it as soon as they find out it was a video game, just seems like a really bad idea.

wishtar

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
Some of you seem to be confused by this. The Myst and Riven games are only a small part of the "Myst Universe'. There are also three novels that tell of the D'ni society who are masters of 'The Art'. There's plenty of material for a TV series. There were plans for a movie a number of years ago but it never happened.

I disagree. Not everybody want to watch tv or movies that are ALWAYS about shooting, killing, hacking or dead things that walk around. Those things are all ok in the proper context and amount, but I think there is plenty of room for something off the path a bit. Consider as well that "based on" rarely means "same as" or even "alike". It's likely they would add a higher level of interaction with other individuals and possibly some action to invigorate the plot. It could work. Maybe not for everybody, but I don't know of anything other than air that everybody can agree on being a good thing. There's probably even some folks that would say something against air too, yes, the kind you breathe.

gmarsack

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
Awesome to hear this. Myst was a ton of fun back in the day.
If it makes it to the SyFy channel it'll get cancelled after a season or two despite the ratings or SyFy will put it on a terrible time slot and then cancel it. I hate you SyFy....

I hate Sci-Fi channel too. They have some good shows, occasionally, but as you say even when they do they always cancel them but continue running the really cheap stupid shows. Netflix would be the better option as they have been producing some decent original content lately. Just look what Sci-Fi did with Riverworld. Great idea, that somebody else would have probably done well, but they did it EXTREMELY poorly and then cancelled it after the pilot for lack of positive feedback. What did they expect. You can't spend ten bucks and get a fifty dollar product. Hopefully, they aren't involved in MYST so it can be successful, or at least have a shot at it.

This has the potential to be cool. One possibility is that they'll tell the story of when Atrus was younger, and was first introduced to writing linking books. They won't have to worry so much about recognizable characters being portrayed by different actors than in the games, since they'll be decades younger, but they can still tie in to scenarios and locations that will be familiar to those who have played them.

Let's just hope they put production values into it that can live up to what people expect from the series.

Bipity Bop

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
My guess is it will be short story arcs with a larger overall conflict. Probably similar to Doctor Who and Warehouse 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS