Dec 9, 2023
Hi folks,

I'm having a weird problem with my freshly built PC, which I'm trying to explain here as short as possible. First, my hardware:

MB: Asus Prime Z-790p
CPU: Intel Core I5 13600KF
GPU: Inno 3D RTX 4080 iChill
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB 6400mhz
PSU: beQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 1000W
Cooling: Custom Loop

Before I continue, I need to mention that I've been building gaming PCs since an AMD Phenom II X6 1090t was considered high-end, so I have some sort of experience.

The problem with my latest system is, that it won't boot normally at the first attempt, meaning that the monitor remains black and I can't enter the BIOS or do anything else. Fans, lights and the pump come alive though. My guess is, that it fails POST for some reason.

But if I do a hard restart by pressing the power button and then power it on again, the system will boot just normally.
Note that all of this happens before I even installed any kind of OS, so the problem is not windows related.

I managed to install windows on my SSD and it runs just fine. All my hardware seems to work normally and I don't get any errors, but still I'm not able to boot the system normally.
It won't boot when doing a Windows-Restart, Shutdown or even exit the BIOS with F10. It also won't come back when I put it to 'sleep'.
I always have to kill everything by keeping the power button pressed and then power it on again.
Once that second attempt is done, I'm having a perfectly stable system without any obvious problems.

I already ran various benchmarks, including 3D-Mark, which all finished without issues. I monitored my hardware with CPU-Z, Core Temp and HWMonitor, without finding any suspecious values.
I've been working with this system for several days now. I tried only using one memory-module at a time in all available slots, without any change. All my connected devices, USB-hubs, cables, fans, SSDs, soundcard etc...are working fine, but as soon as I try to restart my PC, the screen will remain black.
I already flashed my BIOS to the latest version and cleared CMOS, no change.

This is driving me nuts, I never had anything similar, it either works or it doesn't.
My gut somehow tells me, that this is somehow related to the new DDR5-Ram, but wouldn't that also cause other problems?

Maybe someone can point me to the right direction?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Asus Prime Z-790p
+
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Which slots are the rams populating? Got a link to the memory you're working with?

Can you pass on the list of components for your watercooled build?

Dec 9, 2023
Lights, pump in fans only indicate those voltage rails seem to be functioning properly. Something else is wrong with your build.
What trouble shooting tests if any ha

Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Asus Prime Z-790p
+
What BIOS version are you on for your motherboard? Which slots are the rams populating? Got a link to the memory you're working with?

Can you pass on the list of components for your watercooled build?
BIOS Version is 1602.
At the moment I'm using A2 + B2.
The memory is 2x 16gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000mhz. CMH32GX5M2E600036

Loop consists of:
Watercool Heatkiller Tube D5
Aqua Computer Cuplex Kryos Next CPU cooler
Barrow dabel 20a 240mm Radiator
Alphacool ST30 360mm Radiator
Inno 3D iChill RTX 4080 with Alphacool block
3x Noctua NF-A12x25
3x Alpenföhn Wing Boost 3 Argb

Dec 9, 2023
Short update on this, in case someone runs into something similar.
It seems like the problem was somehow related to XMP activation.
After multiple tries with different memory configurations, removing/reinstalling CPU and activating/deactivating XMP, it suddanly worked without any issues.
The interesting thing is, that in previous attempts the problem would persist, even if I deactivated XMP.
Only removing and reinstalling the CPU would help somehow.
I read in other forums that it can be very tricky getting the new DDR5 ram running stable and with the intended frequency somehow.