Mysterious Problem, Possible Dying PSU?

h2opoloseal

Commendable
May 19, 2016
I have a strange issue, but then again, I'm not that smart. I just upgraded my system from a Z-87 mobo with an i5 4670k cooled by a 212 Evo to a new Z-170 mobo with an i7-6700k cooled by a Corsair H-105 liquid cooler. I have a 980ti and I'm running Windows 10 (just upgraded from Windows 7) all powered by a basic Corsair CX-750M. For what it's worth, I also moved everything out of my old mid-size Thermaltake tower into the larger and more absurd Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition.

My PSU has generally made slight squeaking/squealing noises since I got it about a year ago, which never bothered me. However, it has been more severe in the few days since my recent upgrade, particularly while gaming, and I can hear the noises as interference over headphones as well. The strange thing is that the game I've been playing, Ark, which has never had issues, will also hang very, very briefly and quite often when the noise from the PSU is loudest - generally the freezing is no more than 1/2 second, but it does quite frequently at random times, and specifically during the groups of split second freezes, the PSU squealing will peak in volume.

I started monitoring my system more closely, and noticed that at the exact moments the game was intermittently freezing, my CPU and GPU usage was actually plummeting to 0% before snapping back to their normal usage levels.

I can't help but think that the issue may have something to do with the GPU and CPU not receiving the power they need to due to an issue with the PSU (750w should be more than enough for my rig), but I don't know, and wanted the opinion of people much smarter than I.

Solution
Well, the CX series by Corsair is far from their best, so it is suspect here. That being said, first thing to do is verify your CPU and GPU temperatures are ok. There's no shortage of free software to check these things and other values too. I like and use HWinfo. You can also use this to see how your PSU is doing as far as voltages. Run this app in the background and game for a while then look at the results. If the temps are good you might consider replacing the dubious Corsair PSU. As always, make sure your video drivers are up-to-date.
Well, the CX series by Corsair is far from their best, so it is suspect here. That being said, first thing to do is verify your CPU and GPU temperatures are ok. There's no shortage of free software to check these things and other values too. I like and use HWinfo. You can also use this to see how your PSU is doing as far as voltages. Run this app in the background and game for a while then look at the results. If the temps are good you might consider replacing the dubious Corsair PSU. As always, make sure your video drivers are up-to-date.

Solution

h2opoloseal

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Thanks Archaic59, I checked my drivers, they're good, and my temps are fantastic (gotta love liquid cooling and 3x 200mm case fans plus three fans on the GPU - Gigabyte G1 GTX 980Ti Windforce.)

Your thoughts do seem to echo the concerns I was having.

A high quality 650 watt unit can easily run your system. Quality is the key, not high power.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/compare/corsair-power-supply-cp9020091na,evga-power-supply-220g20650y1,fsp-group-power-supply-hg650,seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm/

Some of these come in 750 watt models that may be very close in price to the 650 watt so it might pay to check.

h2opoloseal

Commendable
May 19, 2016
Thanks Archaic59, I really appreciate your thoughts. I'll take a look at those.