Discussion Mysteriously deleted gpt\primary\partition, during Windows cut-n-paste operation ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2023
Updated "Additional Details:" 20231106 @ 00:00:00
With a newly purchased computer, Win-11\Home, USB connected Seagate Skyhawk 4-TB\5900 RPM (hdd), using Win-11's file explore.exe UI, I proceeded with the following:

Select the sub-dir then, use the scissor icon to cut, in another 'file explorer.exe', opened to the destination <drv:\path\to\sub-dir>, I used the 'clipboard' icon, to paste to the destination.

As the process started, win-11 took a bit before it displayed the calculated time for the job to complete. When Win-11 finally displayed --it would take more than twenty-four hours to complete, I immediately paused the operation *while* the progress percentage was still on zero.

Reason for the pause, I wanted to check my Robocopy logs --for how long it originally took to copy this sub-dir to its current location. The logs reported approx nine hours to complete. I returned to the cut/paste progress pop-up that I previously paused then, left-clicked cancel.

Not only the target sub-dir but the entire primary GPT was gone.

Disk Management reports the entire hdd as unallocated. AOMEI, cannot see anything of any previous partition; or data thereof. The only bit of information AOMEI was able to see, that 'Disk Management' was not, is the custom/personalized drive label; nothing else.

Additional Details:
--Both Source and target paths are on separate USB connected 3.5" internal hdd's, with one gpt\primary\partition on each.

****Updated entry
-- Both source and target drives are connected via a 'Sabrent Docking-Station'.

--There was not any power brown-outs or failures.

--The target sub-dir was in excess of 814\GB.

QUESTION(s): Is this some form of user error whereby --

-- There's some unknown copy or cut-n-paste file size limitation?
-- Why didn't the operation leave the untouched files alone?
-- The main question, why would -or- how does Win-11, in any way, allow a native process --permission/access that would enable it to delete an entire GPT\primary\partition?

The above three questions assume the hdd is healthy; is authentic, received/installed 2023/04/07. As a side *note, I disposed of everything that could have remotely contributed; except the hdd. I plan to seek clean room recovery and a device fitness check before future use. I will definitely update this post with the clean-room findings. I'm concerned Win-11 did this.

FEEDBACK: I am interested in every, *all* possibilities, as to why/how this could have happened.

Last edited:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just to make sure we understand, you attempted to "cut" a very large pile of files and "paste" elsewhere. When you saw how long it would take (after you started the process), you canceled the operation. Is that correct?

If so, you then discovered that the original source HDD was "blank".

Just trying to simplify the info leading up to where you are.

Nov 5, 2023
Just to make sure we understand, you attempted to "cut" a very large pile of files and "paste" elsewhere. When you saw how long it would take (after you started the process), you canceled the operation. Is that correct?

If so, you then discovered that the original source HDD was "blank".

Just trying to simplify the info leading up to where you are.
... please do not forget windows-11 had reported 'zero' progress. That said, your simplified version is correct.

It appears that your drives do not have a physical problem, in which case I can't see why you would be looking at a cleanroom data recovery.

Can you tell us the model number of the source HDD? If it is an SMR model, then it may support TRIM. There are professional recovery options for such cases, but not all models are currently supported.

Nov 5, 2023
@fzabkar -- I need to update the original post; darn-it. Please go back and review.

Model Number: ST4000VXZ07, is printed on the drive, verified by Seagate warranty page but, the Seagate web-site can't find the actual model-number, nor can the live chat agent --with whom I've been engaged with for the past hour. The above is all I have at this time.

Regards to the clean-room, Seagate offers that service with this drive; as part of the sale. I truly need to find out if this was Windows or the drive. Rather than twidle-my-thumbs while I wait for Seagate, I wanted to hear from a more knowledgeable/experienced group on this.

I'm listening ...

Nov 5, 2023
I'm confused. Are both drives the same model?
Negative, I believe you asked about the source drive, which is the model number I provided. The destination drive --is one of two, 2\TB Seagate Skyhawk hdd's residing in an identical Sabrent docking-station as the source 4\TB hdd.

Nov 5, 2023
The device is no longer connected, out of fear that --if I continue to leave it connected and there is data to salvage, I may do more harm. I removed, bagged it in electrostatic protection, and returned (RMA), every other device that was connected to that computer, except the source 4\TB and destination 2\TB Skyhawk's; then started over.

I'm thinking if the 4\TB hdd did this, Seagate will find the issue. The laptop was swapped out for a same make\model replacement, same goes for the Sabrent device. Until Seagate completes the process, if anything resembling this incident happens again I'll know its not the drive.

As you stated (confused), is putting it mildly. This feels like the Sabrent device or Win-11. This is why I'm here, cut-n-paste from file explorer.exe has nothing to do with partition commands. However, the following is a stretch, I am now on my third same make\model machine.

Brief History:
The first box repeatedly refused to install Win-11 and some drivers correctly, regardless if it was the Out-of-Box-Experience (PreLoad) or using the OEM recovery image. Both resulted in having to manually reinstall two or three drivers.

The second machine, some of the same (above) behavior. The installation dust seem to settle after using the bare-bones download from Microsoft, but I picked-up some other odd behavior. Namely, right-clicking on the start-button offered terminal and terminal(admin). Something changed the shortcut from Powershell to (I think was) wt.exe; can't find the screenshot.

This second box is at the center of this 'deleted partition' discussion.

If something was severely twisted enough to change the shortcut described above, perhaps the same or similar happened with the 'cancel button' I clicked-on, to stop the cut-n-paste. Apologies if this is off topic, but this is what was going through my head; at that time.

I'm listening ...

Nov 5, 2023
The device is no longer connected, out of fear that --if I continue to leave it connected and there is data to salvage, I may do more harm. I removed, bagged it in electrostatic protection, and returned (RMA), every other device that was connected to that computer, except the source 4\TB and destination 2\TB Skyhawk's; then started over.

I'm thinking if the 4\TB hdd did this, Seagate will find the issue. The laptop was swapped out for a same make\model replacement, same goes for the Sabrent device. Until Seagate completes the process, if anything resembling this incident happens again I'll know its not the drive.

As you stated (confused), is putting it mildly. This feels like the Sabrent device or Win-11. This is why I'm here, cut-n-paste from file explorer.exe has nothing to do with partition commands. However, the following is a stretch, I am now on my third same make\model machine.

Brief History:
The first box repeatedly refused to install Win-11 and some drivers correctly, regardless if it was the Out-of-Box-Experience (PreLoad) or using the OEM recovery image. Both resulted in having to manually reinstall two or three drivers.

The second machine, some of the same (above) behavior. The installation dust seem to settle after using the bare-bones download from Microsoft, but I picked-up some other odd behavior. Namely, right-clicking on the start-button offered terminal and terminal(admin). Something changed the shortcut from Powershell to (I think was) wt.exe; can't find the screenshot.

This second box is at the center of this 'deleted partition' discussion.

If something was severely twisted enough to change the shortcut described above, perhaps the same or similar happened with the 'cancel button' I clicked-on, to stop the cut-n-paste. Apologies if this is off topic, but this is what was going through my head; at that time.

I'm listening ...
@fzabkar do you have any thoughts about how this may have happened?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I have no idea. The scenario makes no sense to me.
Agreed. I have been doing this a very long time and this seems a very unusual occurrence. One that I have never seen before. Short of some unknown/diagnosed hardware failure, I can't think of any plausible (and reproducible) other reason for this to have happened.

This is a bit of a "head scratcher" for sure.

Nov 5, 2023
Seagate is suggesting a two-step plan, that the experienced are already aware of: a) data recovery, b) should future use of the device be an issue; RMA that 'bad boy'.

It will take at least three weeks to begin the above. Waiting on another machine to be RMA'd and some loot for another hdd (recovered data). Until then I'll go stand in the corner.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2023
Seagate is suggesting a two-step plan, that the experienced are already aware of: a) data recovery, b) should future use of the device be an issue; RMA that 'bad boy'.

It will take at least three weeks to begin the above. Waiting on another machine to be RMA'd and some loot for another hdd (recovered data). Until then I'll go stand in the corner.
Consider this a ping (update), Seagate has wasted some time by suggesting I try their in-home recovery software, which failed miserably. On the upside, While the Seagate in-home recovery software repeatedly failed the recovery process, it was able to see/list files it believes are recoverable, which is more than AOMEI was able to accomplish.

The device is enroute to Seagate. Until next time.

Respectfully.

USAFRet

Titan
Consider this a ping (update), Seagate has wasted some time by suggesting I try their in-home recovery software, which failed miserably. On the upside, While the Seagate in-home recovery software repeatedly failed the recovery process, it was able to see/list files it believes are recoverable, which is more than AOMEI was able to accomplish.

The device is enroute to Seagate. Until next time.

Respectfully.
Ideally, there won't be a "next time".

With a good proactive backup routine, you'd already have your data.

Nov 5, 2023
Ideally, there won't be a "next time".
@USAFRet Allow me to clarify, "next time" = until the next time I post an update to this discussion; not the next occurrence of this incident
With a good proactive backup routine, you'd already have your data.
I don't do back-up's. This is why Seagate is my choice for storage. I'll post again when Seagate has something definitive to report --about whether the drive contributed, or not, to this issue.

Nov 5, 2023
Unfortunately, during the Seagate facility recovery process, Seagate will not do an in-depth diagnostic then, provided results as to whether the hdd was defective. Seagates' warranty\recovery will --recover the data then either, return the original device or replace it.

Given that I've parted ways with every other device and cable that was connected to this catastrophe, it would not make sense, to request Seagate --to return this hdd, without knowing whether it played a role in the deleted partition.

I'll continue to use 'newly purchased', same make\model of all the hardware initially involved. Should this happen again I'll return to this discussion for some troubleshooting tips; or purchase different brand hardware.

Everyone remain healthy.

Nov 5, 2023
@USAFRet This thread is about attempting to identify what caused the partition the get deleted; not about back-up's or back-up software. I replied to your first suggestion about back-up's, specifically stating "I don't do back-up's".

Please stay on topic.

USAFRet

Titan
@USAFRet This thread is about attempting to identify what caused the partition the get deleted; not about back-up's or back-up software. I replied to your first suggestion about back-up's, specifically stating "I don't do back-up's".

Please stay on topic.
And given the current state of affairs....has Seagate given you the data back?

Good luck, and I'll bow out of this.

Please stay on topic.
@query-01 let's get one thing straight here. You do not get to tell a moderator, or any other member what to, or not to do. That's the fast way out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.