Mystery Radeon HD 'X2' Card Spy Shots

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"why can't I see the end of the card?

Ah yes, thats because its following the curvature of the earth. its actually designed to shrink and grow by up to 20 feet depending on the season"

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
PCI expansion cards are limited in length by specification to 312mm (12.28"). This 5850x2 card seems to be around 297mm by my rough guess.

Not sure if the 5870x2 is longer though, but at 12" it would be exactly 305mm - still within specifications, but you'll need a crazy long case to house this in.

G

Awesome! Now I can max out MW2 while matchmaking works its wonders lol.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]jonpaul37[/nom]Wow, that card is as long as my... well, it's long.[/citation]

LoL. Too bad I can't give you a 21th vote. :)

bk420

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Too bad the yields are bad at TSMC...I wish this thing would have come out a lot sooner as AMD had previously stated. I'll wait for Fermi.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
I'm also thinking that it is an old Radeon with 2 fans pasted over it. There is a core in the middle of the card. It only has 2 DVI ports and an older than **** S-Video TV out. Where is the HDMI? The right fan is cut at the top, blending with the carpet.

What do you think?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
While I won't rule out that this card could be a fake, that picture does NOT show a GPU core between the two fans: the chip shown there is a CrossFire bridge chip. The actual GPUs are packaged a bit differently; for the past few generations, the chip has been mounted diagonally, rotated 45 degrees from its packaging, and in a MUCH larger package than shown. As an example, Take a look at this pic of the 5870 with the cooler removed.

Granted, this doesn't explain away some of the other inconsistencies, such as how the PCI-e plug doesn't seem fully parallel with the board's edge, and likewise, how it appears to be missing the ever-present "AMD" logo that goes on there. (right below where the site put their own logo)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS