[SOLVED] Mystery shimmering/flickering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2019
I have been having intense shimmering on many games. I can tell its a little different than just aliasing, because it is 100% unaffected by whether or not I have most AA settings on. The only things that truly stop it are supersampling and 4k resolution, although TAA helps just a little. SMAA and FXAA have no effect. It appears very strong on foliage, but its also present on ground textures.

(You must turn on 1080p to see it. I have FXAA enabled in the video.)
View: https://youtu.be/6Sj1EEb1l2s

Solution
I'm not running lower res than my native screen though.

I have a native 1080 monitor, and the video is in 1920x1080 (you can see the settings at 0:20 seconds)
Increase resolution by using the resolution scaling in games that support it to increase the rendered resolution to around 1440p or usually denoted as 1.5x when 1080p is your set resolution. Turn off or reduce anti-aliasing if you do use that. There is also Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution in the Nvidia control panel under Manage 3D settings that can be turned on to add, based on the monitors native resolution, higher resolutions in games that you wouldn't normally be able to see.
Given I'm playing on 1920x1080, on a 1080p monitor

1. Isn't this the "maximum" resolution?
  2. Doesn't low res just cause blurryness, and not the shimmering effects?
  1. youre still using fixed pixel display with too low pixel density to eliminate visibility of aliased edges
  2. that blurryness happens when u running lower resolution then your native screen
shimmering is there because textures are too sharp...
any technique used to eliminate this problem causes blurry screen (dithering, texture filtering, mipmaping with prebaked textures, etc)
at your low resolution without supersampling u can go from blury (low shimmer) to sharp (high shimmer)

Jun 9, 2019
  1. youre still using fixed pixel display with too low pixel density to eliminate visibility of aliased edges
  2. that blurryness happens when u running lower resolution then your native screen
shimmering is there because textures are too sharp...
any technique used to eliminate this problem causes blurry screen (dithering, texture filtering, mipmaping with prebaked textures, etc)
at your low resolution without supersampling u can go from blury (low shimmer) to sharp (high shimmer)

I have a native 1080 monitor, and the video is in 1920x1080 (you can see the settings at 0:20 seconds)

Increase resolution by using the resolution scaling in games that support it to increase the rendered resolution to around 1440p or usually denoted as 1.5x when 1080p is your set resolution. Turn off or reduce anti-aliasing if you do use that. There is also Nvidia Dynamic Super Resolution in the Nvidia control panel under Manage 3D settings that can be turned on to add, based on the monitors native resolution, higher resolutions in games that you wouldn't normally be able to see.

Solution
Jun 9, 2019
1440p makes another weird visual glitch. It makes everything look super grainy and weird. The only thing i could compare it to is if you could hypothetically put your computer sharpening to 200%.

Status
Not open for further replies.