marcomaryred

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Intel Core i7 860 2.80Ghz @ 3.80GHz - Retail
Asus P7P55D Evo Intel P55 Motherboard
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel
Zalman CNPS10X-Quiet CPU Cooler
Point Of View GeForce GTX 285 1024MB PCI-Express Graphics Card
Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB SATA-II 64MB Cache - OEM (WD10EARS)
Corsair TX 850W ATX SLI Compliant Power Supply (CMPSU-850TXUK)

This is my setting, i'm probably going to add another graphic card sometime next year, or replace it with a fermi....

What should i install ? Windows 7 64x or 86x ?

Thanks in advice : D

Solution
The 32-bit version of Windows is limited to a maximum of 4GB of memory, and because of the way the video hardware works the memory on your video card actually replaces some of that so that you won't even be able to use all of it.

The 64-bit version of Windows has no such memory limitation - it can handle as much memory as your system can take, and lots more beyond that. And in 64-bit mode the video memory doesn't replace some of your RAM, so you'll be able to use all 4GB of it.

So yes - definitely go with the 64-bit version of Windows. You'll be able to use all of your 4GB of RAM, and you'll be able to easily add more memory later if you need to.
The 32-bit version of Windows is limited to a maximum of 4GB of memory, and because of the way the video hardware works the memory on your video card actually replaces some of that so that you won't even be able to use all of it.

The 64-bit version of Windows has no such memory limitation - it can handle as much memory as your system can take, and lots more beyond that. And in 64-bit mode the video memory doesn't replace some of your RAM, so you'll be able to use all 4GB of it.

So yes - definitely go with the 64-bit version of Windows. You'll be able to use all of your 4GB of RAM, and you'll be able to easily add more memory later if you need to.

Solution