Nagging multi-GPU questions regarding workstation apps with a touch of gaming here and there....

timbo80

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2014
Hello,
So last July I picked up an Asrock Vega 64 for my home office/editing/gaming PC. I'm happy with it, it replaced a mid-range Nvidia 10 series and was driven to Vega 64 for the FreeSync support and a few articles noting the good workstation performance of the Vega in some rendering apps and other things here and there.
FreeSync seems to work good, I don't play a ton of games anymore, just the odd game here and there to see how far they have come graphically and my 10 year old son gets me to play Fortnite occasionally and in all I play 4k with eye candy turned up doesent have me wanting more.
-- I'm looking to increase performance in rendering, possibly GPU based video encoding and some compute functions as needed coming up.
--Would adding another Vega 64 speed up some of my workstation apps? MGPU support seems quite limited, although from what I've read scaling is good in the games that support it, but what has me at a loss is support for other things like rendering.
--Before anyone reminds me, I know Nvidia RTX is about to drop, but personally have little interest. I like using my shiny new LG 4k monitors FreeSync and won't jump on the RayTracing bandwagon for at least 1 generation.
-The Vega64 currently rests in an X99 system with 1000watt PSU, will likely be exchanging my X99 for an AMD X399 based system with a 2950X this fall and upgrade to a 1500watt PSU if it's nessecary.
-I currently liquid cool my CPU and will pretty much certainly get water blocks for the new 2950X and Vega"s"?
Thanks for any advice/info.
Tim

Solution
Depends on the apps entirely. Some render via the GPU, some render via the CPU. Most of the apps that use GPU rendering fully support multigpu, unlike games.

timbo80

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2014
Okay, that sound a bit promising. Here's the thing, I am a craftsman/builder and specialize in mostly one-offs and have been getting into alot of "modern" style renovations. Long ago, in a galaxy far away I was dead set on being an engineer and have some college under my belt and worked with CAD a bit. Clearly I probably couldn't be farther away in my career choice but still keep hobbies that fill that tech void and do aerial photography/ videography and other "dorky" endeavors. <<<personal description choice, I mean nothing bad about anyone else, thank wifey for that tag. But I digress.
I have extremely limited time to research things like CAD and rendering hence my decision to "ask the community" for advice, but would really like to be able to give my clients the opportunity to see their options through renderings, and to that end have considered hiring someone to come by the home office and perform this function. I would like to make sure I have the best possible system for them to render on without getting into the expensive pro series cards like Quaddro etc. I'm happy with the Vega 64 4k gaming performance already, so any game here and there that makes use of multi-GPU is just a small bonus.
--- I would love to hear about any recommended applications that might fit my needs described above, that also take advantage of another Vega 64 as well if anyone is so inclined?
Thanks again,
Tim