News NanoPi R4S Has Six Cores, Zero Screen Connections

Nov 14, 2020
Calling R4S a "raspberry pi clone" (and complain not having video out) is like calling a forklift "a Camry clone" and complain not having child seat. Whoever wrote that paragraph lacks a basic sense of the SoC market.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020
The pi-clone thing is because of its naming.
Considering it has both LAN and WAN led, it looks very much like a little software router / firewall of sorts. Would love to play with it but... I have no actual use for it. Maybe if it's really cheap :p

techngro

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Calling R4S a "raspberry pi clone" (and complain not having video out) is like calling a forklift "a Camry clone" and complain not having child seat. Whoever wrote that paragraph lacks a basic sense of the SoC market.
That's an amazing analogy.

Nov 19, 2020
The pi-clone thing is because of its naming.
Considering it has both LAN and WAN led, it looks very much like a little software router / firewall of sorts. Would love to play with it but... I have no actual use for it. Maybe if it's really cheap :p

These make great OctoPi/3D Printer and Samba hosts. I use an earlier version of this Formfactor with onboard EMMC for this. It compares favorably in performance with a RPi3 and while even a RPi1 can and does run octopi its.... sluggish to say the least.