[SOLVED] NAS as USB storage?

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Hi I have this product:

https://www.seagate.com/support/external-hard-drives/network-storage/business-storage-4-bay-nas/

I want to use it as direct usb storage becuase the xfer rate is only 11MBs using ethernet.

It has two usb 3.0 ports which I think are normally for additional storage or printers but it seems like there should be a way to connect to a pc for direct usb file xfers. When I spoke to a seagate rep they said they were sure its possible to connect via USB for direct file xfers but they didnt explain how. I dont see any options in the web interface. I already tried connecting via usb once but nothing happened - disk management didnt see anything.

So my first question is whether its possible to use the USB ports for direct file xfers.

My second question is whether I can get a better xfer rate than 11MB/s. Its just a simple home network with a 4 port router/modem.

Thanks.

Solution
Well I guess its my router. The specs state:
RJ-45 X 4 for LAN, (10/100 BaseT auto-sense)

My router is much newer than my computer and cant do gigabit. Thats just sad. I guess I will have to look into a direct Ethernet connection to get the speeds I need. If anyone has input on direct connections let me know.
An inexpensive 10/100/1000 switch.
Router->switch->NAS and PC. Traffic between the NAS and the PC only goes through the switch, at gigabit performance. It does not go all the up to the router and then down.

$17
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07S98YLHM
Cat 5e won't restrict speeds to that extent.

More likely router or ethetnet port limitations.

I don't think you can directly connect the nas to pc (not from a quick look) which is bizarre imo.

Have you tried connecting directly to pc ethernet port??

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Cat 5e won't restrict speeds to that extent.

More likely router or ethetnet port limitations.

I don't think you can directly connect the nas to pc (not from a quick look) which is bizarre imo.

Have you tried connecting directly to pc ethernet port??

Its a brand new comtrend router. Cant imagine it wont do 1000mbs. The ethernet adapter on the pc says 1000mbs. When I try to force 1000 mbs I lose my connection and have to set it back to auto-negotiate. The PCs cable is cat6. the nas cable is 5e. Maybe the mismatch?

USAFRet

Titan
Its a brand new comtrend router. Cant imagine it wont do 1000mbs. The ethernet adapter on the pc says 1000mbs. When I try to force 1000 mbs I lose my connection and have to set it back to auto-negotiate. The PCs cable is cat6. the nas cable is 5e. Maybe the mismatch?
There is no mismatch there. Assuming non crappy cables, both are gigabit capable.
Assuming non-crappy...lol

What is showing you this "11MBs " ?

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
I meant...what software.
11MBs sound suspiciously like a 100 megabit connection. Something in there is throttling the speed down.

Windows OS? Not sure what you mean by what software, lol

I should be getting about 100MBs a sec, not 10MBs if my adapter is 1000mb/s.
I bought new cat 6 cables in case thats the issue.
If that doesnt work, I'll try a direct ethernet connection to the NAS
If that doesnt work, I might try a USB to ethernet adapter going to the NAS

Any other ideas? Does the NAS need a certain service running to get a faster speed?

kanewolf

Titan

Any other ideas? Does the NAS need a certain service running to get a faster speed?
Did you also verify the link speed at the NAS? You host might be 1Gb but the cable to the NAS could cause 100Mbit.

USAFRet

Titan

There's "cables", and then there are cables that meet industry standards.

And no, a direct connection to the NAS, either ethernet or USB, is not the solution. Discover the actual problem instead of trying to go around it.

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
There's "cables", and then there are cables that meet industry standards.

And no, a direct connection to the NAS, either ethernet or USB, is not the solution. Discover the actual problem instead of trying to go around it.

Well since I cant get USB 3 speeds from my ethernet connection there is no way "around" it.

I had this NAS unit and 6TB in drives sitting around so I thought Id throw the drives in and use it purely for backup reasons. I want to stick 6TB of data on it and disconnect it. At 10MB a sec, thats like weeks and I dont want to put that much wear and tear on my drives. So, I only need a one-time FAST solution.

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014

My router is much newer than my computer and cant do gigabit. Thats just sad. I guess I will have to look into a direct Ethernet connection to get the speeds I need. If anyone has input on direct connections let me know.

USAFRet

Titan

An inexpensive 10/100/1000 switch.
Router->switch->NAS and PC. Traffic between the NAS and the PC only goes through the switch, at gigabit performance. It does not go all the up to the router and then down.

$17
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-5-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Unmanaged/dp/B07S98YLHM

Solution

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Its a comtrend DSL modem/router from my isp. I guess because its DSL they figure it doesnt need gigabit circuitry (cut costs).

Thanks for the switch idea. If I cant set up the direct connection, I'll look into that.