Question NAS disk which can go to sleep

Feb 13, 2019
Hi guys!

I have seen a lot of talk about NAS systems on this forum so I thought I would post my question here. I am planning to build a DIY NAS-like server. I will access backup disks 0-4 times a day. When disk are not in use I want to put them to sleep.

Which disk would you recommended me? I wanted to go with WD red, but NAS disks usually are not ment to be spinned down since this puts a lot of stress on the disk. And I've read that they have head parking delay of 300s (which means that I would have to wait 5min for disk to wake up right?). I've also considered WD green since it has lower head parking delay but I dont know if it's very reliable.

My questions are:
  • should I buy WD red?
  • should I buy WD green?
  • which other disk would you recommended me?

Please keep in mind:
  • I want my server to be online 24/7 and I want just the backup disks to go to sleep (os will be on an ssd)
  • reliability is more important to me than speed
  • I can live with head parking delay up to let say 30s
  • I might do a raid 1 array but nothing fancy (2 disks at most)

Personal experience of 5 years of maintaining NASes, buying new stuff and so on:

• This is a rare issue some ppl encountered - "And I've read that they have head parking delay of 300s (which means that I would have to wait 5min for disk to wake up right?"
  • I use REDs and Seagate IronWolf
Consult this and pick the most reliable HDD which will last the most: https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-stats-for-q1-2018/