Question NAS formatted drives not recognised in WIN 10 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 5, 2021
I just ditched a Dlink DNS 320L NAS due to network unreliability issues and wanted to reuse the 2 TB Seagate Barracuda drives in my Win 10 PC. The NAS performs its own formatting. The issue I have is the HDD's are not recognised by WIN 10. The volumes dont't show up in explorer or in disk management, they are invisible to windows so I cannot reformat them. The volumes show up in BIOS but not anywhere else and 3rd party disk management software (AOMEI) wont list them either. It is not a SATA cable or port issue as I can see and read an NTFS drive in same port formatted on WIN pc

Feb 5, 2021
Right.
You can't just take a drive out of a dedicated NAS and put it in a Windows PC and expect to read it.

It will need reformatting.

Well yes... If I could actually "see the drive" I would then be able to reformat it. In future please respond to help requests with a useful reply rather than an a treat the poster as an imbecile with a quick flick response in order to boost your poster ratings

Reactions: BogdanH
Feb 5, 2021
If you can't be civil, the next quick flick will be this thread closing.
Well how about addressing the issue or pointing me in the direction of someone who can. It was obvious from my post that I can not reformat the drive as it is not recognised by windows. If The OS could see the volumes then I would have written a post titled " Disk management can see volume but can't format partitions"

Reactions: BogdanH
@Victor Lamonde - calm down... The people here don't posses extraterrestrial capabilities, and noone knows your knowledge level.

Start Disk Management. Right-click on disk in question, not the partition, and start from there. There are gazzillion ways of preparing disk for NAS, so there's no "do that, then do that".

If in doubt - post a screenshot of your Disk Management applet.

As a last resort - there are live OS distributions like GParted, where you can do many things outside of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.