Build Advice NAS/ Game server build. Advice greatly appreciated

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I am currently in the process of building out a server using consumer parts for a game server and NAS. As my budget is quite limited, I'll be trying to not break the bank as the server is more so of a side project.

I've recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU from a Ryzen 7 3700X and AsRock B450M Pro4 to a Ryzen 7 5700X3D and a used Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero as I found a deal for the motherboard.

I'm thinking of selling the 3700X and getting a 5700G for the server so I wouldn't need to use a GPU for it. But now I'm wondering if I should just grab a decently priced used kit of a 5900X, Asus B550-E Gaming and 32GB of 3600MT/s CL14 RAM for around 390 Euro and get a low power GPU.

The server would be running mostly just during the day and evenings for backups and Plex, and occasionally game servers once I have friends.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello everyone,

As the title suggests, I am currently in the process of building out a server using consumer parts for a game server and NAS. As my budget is quite limited, I'll be trying to not break the bank as the server is more so of a side project.

I've recently upgraded my motherboard and CPU from a Ryzen 7 3700X and AsRock B450M Pro4 to a Ryzen 7 5700X3D and a used Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero as I found a deal for the motherboard.

I'm thinking of selling the 3700X and getting a 5700G for the server so I wouldn't need to use a GPU for it. But now I'm wondering if I should just grab a decently priced used kit of a 5900X, Asus B550-E Gaming and 32GB of 3600MT/s CL14 RAM for around 390 Euro and get a low power GPU.

The server would be running mostly just during the day and evenings for backups and Plex, and occasionally game servers once I have friends.
In general, neither NAS duties or game server require significant CPU. More RAM is more important than more CPU, IMO.

eternalabys

Honorable
Nov 8, 2018
In general, neither NAS duties or game server require significant CPU. More RAM is more important than more CPU, IMO.
Do you think the 8 core 5700G would be enough for ProxMox with Plex and a modded MC and Arma 3 server?

MC would have up to 7 players and Arma 3 would have occasionally up to 30-40 players

TRENDING THREADS