Question NAS Shared Folder Disappeared

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
Hi, I have a nas storage device I'm only using as external storage (Stripped). I want to throw a bunch of files on it and disconnect it. I transferred 5TB to it over the past few days with no issues. Then I spent about 30 min organizing the files - renaming, moving, and deleting files/folders in windows explorer. Then the nas started making a subtle clicking sound every few seconds. I waited a while and it didnt stop so I shutdown the unit. It didnt respond to the shutdown at first but then shutdown on its own later.

When I powered the unit back on the shared folder with all the data was gone. The nas also started making the clicking sound again after an hour or so. The the volume is still there and the nas is showing the data has still there. The drives are all showing as fine.

-I know theres volume recovery tools but is there some way to recover the shared folder? I didnt try to create it again in case that overwrote something thats still there.

-Are nas prone to freak accidents like this? Should I have not shut it down? Is there some preferred way of working with nas (like software) to avoid issues like this?

The data is just a backup so I didnt lose anything but it represents like 30 hours of transferring files. Also, the folder structure and file name get pretty deep/long. I dont know if a path/name was so long it corrupted something from the start.

Daak12

Honorable
Apr 12, 2014
seagate blackarmor 4 bay business nas.
The status of the drives shows as fine
My theory is as soon as I delete the volume it wont make that sound anymore. Its trying to access a file/folder that doesnt exist or is corrupted.