[SOLVED] NAS with a non-proprietary file system

Dec 11, 2019
Can anybody recommend a NAS with a non-proprietary file system? Other parameters are almost irrelevant.
Trying to convince me to use anything with a proprietary file system is like asking a victim of violent crime to walk down a dark alley.

Thanks,

Mike

kanewolf

Titan
The trauma left me with the realisation that, even if 99.9% of all of my data was of no further interest, the remainder was life, death, breakfast and folding money.
That data needs three copies, one of which is off-site to protect against fire/flood/theft.
A DS110j is pretty old (the last two digits identify the year that model was released -- that is a 2010 model). Unfortunately Synology stops updating the firmaware after 5 to 7 years. So all the applications you see on the Synology website for cloud storage sync may not be available to you.

Dec 11, 2019
EXT4 (I have not come across BTRFS) along with Microsoft systems should be O.K., but which commercial NAS units support them?
I was bitten in the past by a NAS which lost all of my data and a lot of money. At the moment I back up to CDs every few days - All I need is something better without relying on hardware.
My wish is to have a single bay NAS for backups, clones of main disks on my PCs and perhaps a little cloud storage (and my old CDs)

Mike

kanewolf

Titan
Synology, QNAP, Thecus, Asustor all allow internal disks to be EXT4. Commercial NAS will almost always be a Linux file system. USB drives can be NTFS formatted. But a single copy of any important data is a formula for disaster. Three copies, one of which is off-line and/or off-site is the recommendation for important data.

Dec 11, 2019
Thanks kanewolf. I will try first with a second hand Synology DS110j that I have acquired. I understand that it does support EXT4. Once I am happy that I have begun to understand what I am doing I will see whether to use a RAID setup for redundancy or some other method - including occasional CD backups.

@fzabkar The NAS that failed was a Netgear (SC101?) Despite a lot of looking I never did find any info on how to get the files off the HDs.

Mike

kanewolf

Titan
Thanks kanewolf. I will try first with a second hand Synology DS110j that I have acquired. I understand that it does support EXT4. Once I am happy that I have begun to understand what I am doing I will see whether to use a RAID setup for redundancy or some other method - including occasional CD backups.

@fzabkar The NAS that failed was a Netgear (SC101?) Despite a lot of looking I never did find any info on how to get the files off the HDs.

Mike
A DS110j doesn't support RAID since it is a single disk unit. You would have to get a DS2xx or DS4xx, etc to get RAID.

Dec 11, 2019
I realise that, but I am starting with about stone-cold zero knowledge of backing up my data beyond what I have been doing - using a vast number of CDs. I will invest in something - possibly a 4 or 5 bay RAID array but only when I know what will fit with my way of working and give acceptable security against data loss.

Mike

Dec 11, 2019
Taking a quick search on Google, I find that my experience was not unique. Fortunately, that was quite a few years ago and I can now look back with just the occasional shudder.

The trauma left me with the realisation that, even if 99.9% of all of my data was of no further interest, the remainder was life, death, breakfast and folding money.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS