News NASA Hacks Its Supercomputing Way Through Intel, AMD Parts

Johnpombrio

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2006
Is there a home for elderly supercomputers? I went to an old customer of mine that had purchased a "massive" 10MB hard drive system the cost of a car and the size of a dishwasher when I first started with HP test and measurement. 15 years later, I was walking around in the parking lot and saw a bunch of surplus equipment in the field behind the facility. Sitting there was the rusted remains of that "oh so expensive and powerful hard drive" in the tall grass. I worked for several years to maintain that drive to keep running. End of an era for me to see that.

Exploding PSU

Honorable
Jul 17, 2018
308.000 Zen 2 cores sounds so insane, the scale of it just doesn't register in my brain. I kept thinking that if 6 of those cores inside my PC are enough to do anything I ever wanted, from putting bread on the table all the way to the occasional entertainment, what would 308K of those cores can do.

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Adding AMD chops to Intel's kicks in a modular approach to supercomputing, NASA's Aitken takes up a single acre of land and will unlock frontiers of data processing for the budding space agency.

NASA Hacks Its Supercomputing Way Through Intel, AMD Parts : Read more
I still have a 10 meg IBM full height RLL (MFM) hard drive. Originally in 1984 $945.00 USD. I saw one listed recently on the web for $3500.00. Hahahaha. The oldster serves no practical purpose unless you are building a DOS box. Plus maybe a 16 color 640x200 CGA graphics card.
Great gaming rig. :)
Edit: Selecting the correct interrupt setup was paramount! Interrupts? What's that daddy?

Last edited: