News NASA's Voyager 1 satellite is currently lost in deep space due to a critical memory error

Status
Not open for further replies.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I read another article about that early this morning. Much like the poster above, I have always been fascinated by the Voyager missions and try to keep up with what is going on with them. It is pretty astounding how much more 'science' they have gleaned from these machines so long past their primary mission. My understanding is that they can tell it is still running/alive, but cannot send commands or even a reboot with the memory fault present.

Speaking for myself, when Star Trek used this satellite as a primary part of the first orignal cast movie, didn't hurt much either. I have rather wondered that if we should live (as a human race) long enough to actually be capable of travelling the vastness of space as quickly as fiction posits, it would be really cool to chase after this/these and recover them.

newtechldtech

Respectable
Sep 21, 2022
It is strange that they dnt put backup hardware on it , for such a long living hardware at least two or even more backup hardware should be included to take over operation once the original one stops working or gives errors.

Nah the aliens already know where we are. :p
They say that's who built those pyramids thingy's :rofl: And Bill up the street I swore I seen his garage glowing more than a few times at 3am.

But all kidding aside I thought about the friendly care package of information we sent out to some villain that only could be thought up on the DR Who TV show.

If Rose or Clara show up I'm good:cool:

But if Cybermen or the Master show up.:eek:

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
Due to an unexpected error in the Flight Data Subsystem of the Voyager 1, NASA's longest-operating satellite is no longer able to provide telemetry data needed for basic control of the spacecraft.

NASA's Voyager 1 satellite is currently lost in deep space due to a critical memory error : Read more
A buddy of mine's brother worked on the the voyager program. They pulled a funny developing the gold LP onboard of the spacecraft that didn't make the mission for obvious reasons.. Funny people transposed male genitals to the female and visa versa. Too bad it didn't make the launch.

peterf28

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2013
A buddy of mine's brother worked on the the voyager program. They pulled a funny developing the gold LP onboard of the spacecraft that didn't make the mission for obvious reasons.. Funny people transposed male genitals to the female and visa versa. Too bad it didn't make the launch.
Visionaries

Reactions: Order 66
It is strange that they dnt put backup hardware on it , for such a long living hardware at least two or even more backup hardware should be included to take over operation once the original one stops working or gives errors.
The primary mission of the space probes was completed back in the 1980s. And in addition to backup hardware for some systems, Voyager 2 itself could be considered as a backup, since the two craft were launched a couple weeks apart, with both traveling along a similar trajectory up until passing by Saturn.

And their nuclear power sources are not expected to last much longer before the power they provide isn't enough to operate scientific equipment, and will likely degrade to the point of losing communication capabilities within the next decade or so.

Co BIY

Splendid
Those probes were humanity's worst mistake, a fatal error. They basically contain targeting data for target Earth.

I just read the Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin (Highly Recommended for the sci-fi fans out there) and see where you are coming from but I'm sure our continuous radio emissions are a much greater danger than two slow moving physical probes.

Reactions: PEnns
Status
Not open for further replies.