Question NAT issues with discord and warzone

Aug 14, 2020
Hey y'all

To add some context my discord has been working incorrectly for some time now. Not sure when this problem started but it did come out of no where.

The issue is, all incoming voice (my friend's voices) is robotic, however outgoing voice (my voice) is clear and normal to my friends. The fix I have been using for some time now is to connect to a VPN and for some reason, I can hear incoming and outgoing works fine. However, due to this, some applications do not run as expected so this is not a fix I want to continue to use.

As well to add, I am connected to the 2nd router set up in my home.

After trying a couple of things tonight such as;
-setting IP settings to manual (instead of automatic DHCP)
-forwarding some discord and warzone ports

For some reason, this worked and my discord was working correctly up until I restarted my computer and 1st router to make sure the changes are perm. After poking around some more I think this may be due to the fact that my 2nd router's WAN IP is dynamic and it may have messed up the settings after the reboot on the first router.

If you have any idea what may be wrong or what I could do, it would be greatly appreciated!

Ralston18

Titan
Make and model modem and routers?

Do you have the respective User Guides/Manuals?

How did you make the connections?

For example (line diagram):

ISP ===> modem--->[WAN]Router 1[LAN] ---> [LAN]Router 2[LAN]---> Your computer and other wired devices.

---> being an ethernet cable and ===> incoming ISP cable: DSL, coax....

Router 1 may also have other wired devices connected to its' LAN ports.

Correct and edit the line diagram as necessary.

Router 2 should have DHCP disabled and be assigned a static IP address via Router 1. And that static IP address should be reserved for Router 2 via Router 2's MAC. The static IP address should also be outside of the DHCP IP address range allowed to Router 1.

Reactions: cidunno
Aug 14, 2020
Hey Ralston, thanks for getting back to me so quickly!

Modem/Router 1: Smart/RG SR516ac
Router 2: TP-Link AC1750

ISP ===> [WAN] Dual modem/router1 [LAN} --->[LAN] router2 [LAN}--->My computer

As well, [WAN] Dual modem/router1 [LAN} --->Family computers 1,2,3

DHCP is indeed disabled for router 2. How would I check the DHCP IP range for router 1?

Ralston18

Titan
First the User Manual for the R SR516ac:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1467548/Smartrg-Sr516ac.html?page=2#manual

(Do verify that I found the correct User Manual.)

You will start by logging into the router per the instructions on physically number Pages 7 & 8.

Use your browser to access the router via its' default IP address of 192.168.1.1 unless that address has been changed.

Next, you will need to enter the current User Name and Password if the default/factory values were changed. (Which hopefully was indeed done as a matter of network security.)

LAN and DHCP address range are found on Pages 59 & 60.

Do not immediately make any changes. Familiarize yourself with both navigating the router's admin screens and the available network options therein.

Plan out your changes and where in the router's admin pages you need to make the changes. Then work carefully and only make one change at a time. Keep notes in case you have to go back and "do over".

Also: get the User Guide for Router #2. The Guide may prove handy to have.

Aug 14, 2020
Hey Ralston,

For some reason that link won't open so I'll be using this one: https://www.nwtel.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/Support/sr516ac_user_manual.pdf

I do believe they are the same from the pages you mentioned.

For my second router: https://www.nwtel.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/Support/sr516ac_user_manual.pdf

To my understanding, I need to assign a static IP on Router 1 for Router 2. Then enter the "Address Reservation"(Page 64 of manual 2), using the MAC address of Router 2 and that static IP we set on Router 1?

Under (Page 62 of manual 1) I believe that is the correct way to set a static IP. Should I set the MAC address as Router 2's? And for the IP address, since my dynamic range for example could be 192.168.1.50-192.168.1.254, as well my routers are at 192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.2 respectively. Should I set the static IP as 192.168.1.2 or something between 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.50 (not including ends) ?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS