Question NAT Open on Ethernet but Strict on Wifi

Apr 7, 2020
I'm trying to get my Nintendo Switch to connect with an open NAT, but it is currently NAT type D. However, when I use an ethernet cable, plugged directly into my router, I get an open NAT.

My ISP is my apartment complex, and I have a Nighthawk R7000 router plugged directly into the wall.

Any thoughts on how I can open the NAT on wifi? I tried to set up a DMZ, turned on/off uPnP, and tried to port forward all of the UDP ports (per nintendo's instructions), which didn't work. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2020
So after some more investigation, I think I have a double NAT type scenario. I think there's a NAT set up though my apartment complex's internet service. However it seems weird that when I connect through my ethernet, I get an open NAT. Any ideas why this might be the case?

Apr 7, 2020
So my router gives me 192.168 for the router IP, and my WAN port gives me a 10.80. However, I just tried to plug my xbox directly into my wall ethernet port, and it gives me open NAT.

Would putting my router into AP mode resolve this?

So my router gives me 192.168 for the router IP, and my WAN port gives me a 10.80. However, I just tried to plug my xbox directly into my wall ethernet port, and it gives me open NAT.

Would putting my router into AP mode resolve this?
Interesting. Yep, you have a private IP.

If you put it in AP mode anyone else connected to that network will be able to see your network. It will probably work, but it's better to get your dmz or wifi nat working properly. You need to try upgrading and downgrading your firmware. Or if you haven't reboot your router, reboot it.

Apr 7, 2020
When plugged directly into the wall I get 10.80.x.x. It is still an open NAT according to my Xbox when directly plugged into the wall. I spoke with my apartment complex IT and they said they don't close any ports on the network. It seems like this must be an issue with my router, but I just can't seem to figure this out.

To make things weirder, I went to my friend's place in the same apartment complex and he gets an open NAT on his Xbox via wifi (whereas on wifi I get a strict NAT) with a Belkin router. However, my Nintendo switch connected to his router still gives me a strict NAT. Not sure what to make of this.

I don't want to set up my personal router as an AP, so I might try and buy a separate AP and see if that works. I'll try and downgrade my router's firmware later tonight and see if that fixes it.

The reason it is strange is to have open nat you must have a public IP address and you have a private one. Since there is no port forwarding setup in the apartment building router it is impossible for a new session to be sent to your machine.

I have no clue why or how this is suppose to be working. Everything I know says you should be always getting strict in a setup like this.

Apr 7, 2020
Hm, yeah I'm not sure why this is happening. I'm just as confused LOL. If the AP works I'll let you know. I see a glimmer of hope for me to play animal crossing with my friends, and that keeps me going haha