Question Nat type changes ?

Apr 10, 2023
Hey hey ,

i recently got fiber connection , and had to connect my ps 3 console to bridged host lan to get nat type 1 , so when i activate it i get nat type 1 for a split second , but after a couple of seconds it switches me back to nat type 2 , and it brings me to a very <Mod Edit> poor connection dropping like 70 MBPS.. i dont even know why it does that any idea ?

thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to stop reading networking information on gamer forums way too many idiots just cut and paste the same wrong information over and over.

Nat has nothing to do with your download speeds. To some extent many years ago it used to matter because NAT take CPU processor power to do but modern routers have much bigger cpu and even very cheap routers have special hardward that let them do NAT at full 1gbit speeds.

Mostly NAT is a issue when you are playing games where there is not central server and one of the end clients is acting as a server. If you are using games that use central servers provided by the game company then it does not matter the NAT type.

You really don't want to leave you machine on a NAT 1 connection. That means it is wide open to hackers on the internet and if there is some bug in your console you could be attacked. NAT 2 generally is the safer option that still allows use of the server function on your machine. The console will for example use UPnP to open ports in the NAT just for the game you are using and they are closed when the game is not using them.

Pretty much stuff either works or it doesn't when you have NAT issues. It does not affect the performance no matter how much silly gamers think it does.

Apr 10, 2023
i know i dont want nat type 1 , but some games work better with nat type 1 then 2 for example battlefield bad company squad invites will not work with nat type 2 and i know it has nothing to do with the internet speed but checking the internet speed on the system looks bad <Mod Edit>:p

if your ISP supports port forwarding you can try that to get back to nat 1 . but if your ISP blocks some ports there's usually little you can about it .
If you use port forwarding you are using NAT 2. Nat1 means all ports are open which means you are running with your device directly on the internet with the public IP assigned to the end device. DMZ might look similar but nobody should really run nat type 1 if they care about security.

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
If you use port forwarding you are using NAT 2. Nat1 means all ports are open which means you are running with your device directly on the internet with the public IP assigned to the end device. DMZ might look similar but nobody should really run nat type 1 if they care about security.
i used to have nat type 1 , but my isp made some changes and eversince i'm on nat 2 and can't get back to type 1 .