Question Navi GPU?

izoli

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Will Navi GPU be something worth looking forward to outside of next gen consoles?

Looking at the roadmap I see Navi 10 being released first in a couple months which isnt likely to compete with the 1080ti/2080ti, rather it would compete with people that would originally be buying the 1070ti/1080/2070. And Navi 20 looking like it will not be releasing until 2020, will that be enough or am I missing data?

Can't really comment whether it would be really WORTH upgrading to a NAVI GPU, when it lands. We need to wait for benchmarks, but I'm not very optimistic with AMD. I'm just to curious to know, whether AMD implements it's own Ray tracing on the hardware level, with these new GPUs.

But you are correct. According to the roadmap, NAVI 20 is going to land next year, 2020. These might be high-end NAVI GPU offerings, though this is just based on pure speculation for now. Also, I think NAVI would be the last AMD GPU to be based on the GCN architecture though (refined). In 2021 we might see a completely new arch, rumored as ARCTURUS, (most probably on VLIW2, or as AMD calls it SUPER-SIMD). This is where things might change for AMD.

IMO, on a slight off topic note, I think APU is where AMD can try to put a strong mark on the market. They will have a hard time capturing the high-end dGPU market as evident from their recent trend. I could be wrong though.

I'm still skeptical about NAVI though. The Radeon VII wasn't a very worthy contender either, at least in my opinion. It looks like AMD really wanted to compete with NVidia's RTX 2080, but didn't have much choice apart from re-branding and releasing a cut-down variant of their current MI50 Instinct compute card. Seems like a desperate move from AMD.

This R7 wasn't meant to be an actual gaming card to begin with, because AMD had plans to target the compute/HPC segment as well. They didn't have much choice either, so they just made some changes to the existing GCN architecture on a refined process Node though, giving us this R7 GPU.

This is also evident from the FP64 performance of this R7 GPU, which sits around (3.5 TFLOPs). AMD had a change of heart, deciding that their Radeon VII users deserved a little more FP64 performance from their new gaming flagship, making the GPU more appealing to professional users as well, while maintaining the performance advantages of their Radeon Instinct lineup.

But for gaming FP64 is irrelevant though. The inclusion of 4 existing HBM2 memory stacks also actually made this card to be priced in a higher bracket, as compared to the Vega 64 and similar cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: lux1109
One more thing......

I think high-end NAVI GPUs aren't going to come out this year. So, expect only mainstream and mid-range products, so you can guess the performance bracket as well, based on speculation.

"Actually, AMD will be focusing on the mid-range market with their new 7nm power-efficient Navi architecture. In fact, even AMD's Mark Papermaster confirmed that 7nm Radeon VII will be AMD’s top-tier graphics card for the time being.".

So I don't expect high-end models to come out soon though. Also, 4 more NAVI GPU variants were leaked before on a "MacOS Mojave update" source code. These are Navi 16, Navi 12, Navi 10 and Navi 9.

But these are basically the names of the product variants, not codenames of four different processors. Though, we have seen references to Navi 10 and Navi 12 being two distinct GPUs on previous occasions, so this gets a bit confusing for now. Anyways, this MacOS entry is legit though. The file is named as “AMDRadeon6000HWServiceskext”.

Sorry for the large Image size.....Was unable to reduce it further....

b6a2037c027f0f04a6a8bce497eb38e0cabd2b171a78d48792565ae3037fe1cf.jpg

fc7790e8d72c892659a23f0d6cb66aae54aadd043ba750c144b051b99bbbfb8b.jpg

Reactions: david_the_guy

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
I'm also waiting to upgrade to NAVI when it comes out..i don't need a high-end card tho, and AMD will surely keep the price level competitive as well.
Keeping prices competitive while delivering ample performance at mid range is what AMD is usually good at. So that would be the case hopefully. It's just the mining fiasco pretty much killed AMD's mid range for a long period of time, which recently has recovered, and their Vega were/are still crazy expensive because of the HBM2.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Keeping prices competitive while delivering ample performance at mid range is what AMD is usually good at.

I actually want AMD to compete in the HIGH-end GPU market segment as well....NVIDIA has always been ahead of AMD, at least when it comes to powerful flagship GPUs. They have a strong hold on the GPU market though. AMD really needs to release a competitive GPU, hopefully next year, which might compete with NV's high-end offerings.

Reactions: david_the_guy

Dreamevil55

Honorable
May 4, 2016
I actually want AMD to compete in the HIGH-end GPU market segment as well....NVIDIA has always been ahead of AMD, at least when it comes to powerful flagship GPUs. They have a strong hold on the GPU market though. AMD really needs to release a competitive GPU, hopefully next year, which might compete with NV's high-end offerings.
AMD did confirm yesterday that both Navi and AMD Rome CPU will launch in Q3. And the Navi launches will be all below the Radeon VII price.

AMD did confirm yesterday that both Navi and AMD Rome CPU will launch in Q3. And the Navi launches will be all below the Radeon VII price.

Yes, I read that news before. I was actually talking about next year/2020 though, when the high-end NAVI 20 GPUs will land....I just hope these don't disappoint us. I want AMD to release a strong GPU contender, and not some "mainstream" card.

Some update on NAVI GPUs. Two AMD Radeon Navi graphics cards have made a sudden appearance on 3DMark and AOTS benchmarks. The Navi based GPU variants were found by TUM_APISAK and it looks like we also have some early specifications for what look to be engineering samples running in test labs.

The two AMD Navi GPU variants are not the same since they have a different device id. The variant which has the specifications featured on 3DMark is the ‘731F: C1’ and it comes with a clock speed of 1000 MHz and 8 GB of memory that is clocked in at 1250 MHz. The card is actually using GDDR6 memory interface with an effective clock speed of 10 GHz which is more likely. This would give the card a total of 320 GB/s bandwidth which is higher than AMD’s current mainstream flagship, the RX 590, that features 256 GB/s of bandwidth.

The other AMD Radeon Navi variant is the ‘7310:00’ and this variant has no specs mentioned right now but it was spotted in the AOTS benchmark.

More details can be found under this Topic. I know these are early engineering samples, but at least we are slowly getting some info on these upcoming NAVI GPUs.

https://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-navi-gpu-specs-performance-3dmark-aots-leak-out/

View: https://twitter.com/realscott1227/status/1130429667247239169

TRENDING THREADS