Question Navi2: Why some games take too much power and another games no?

EtaLasquera

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
I've played some games in 2 years who I had my 6800XT and the power usage vs performance is really strange.

Some games use a lot of power while doesnt give much FPS while another games give a lot of FPS and use a lot of less power.
Anyone have a good explanation why games use 100% of GPU while use 50% less power?

As example:
A Plague Tale Requiem 320W

The Last of Us: 220W

Forza Horizon 5: 185W

Lutfij

Titan
If we're to assume that your PSU isn't at fault when it comes to delivering power for the entire platform, then you might want to see if running DDU then removing all GPU drivers from your platform and then manually reinstall the latest GPU drivers found off of AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

You're running 1080p which isn't particularly stressful for GPUs of that tier, but very much can be for CPU. You might see different results with a higher resolution. If you just watch CPU usage you can tell that is where some of those are falling down. Not to say that different games don't use differing amounts of the GPU which is part of the disparity. 100% usage doesn't necessarily mean that every portion of the GPU is getting slammed equally.

EtaLasquera

Reputable
Nov 24, 2019
You're running 1080p which isn't particularly stressful for GPUs of that tier, but very much can be for CPU. You might see different results with a higher resolution. If you just watch CPU usage you can tell that is where some of those are falling down. Not to say that different games don't use differing amounts of the GPU which is part of the disparity. 100% usage doesn't necessarily mean that every portion of the GPU is getting slammed equally.
It means 100% gpu usage @ 1080p can use less power than 100% usage @ 2160p?
This is 100% no sense.

If we're to assume that your PSU isn't at fault when it comes to delivering power for the entire platform, then you might want to see if running DDU then removing all GPU drivers from your platform and then manually reinstall the latest GPU drivers found off of AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.
I don't know what happens if I use a PSU that can't give the VGA the power it wants, but since APTr can draw 320W there's no reason other games can't use more power if they want to.

This never happened when I had an RTX 3070 (it always draw 240W for all games with 100% GPU usage)... and this problem has existed since I bought the AMD card.

I just open this question on the forum because no one talks about different games using 100% GPU with more or less power requirements. Maybe I'm the only one.

It means 100% gpu usage @ 1080p can use less power than 100% usage @ 2160p?
This is 100% no sense.
Your GPU isn't actually getting used at 100% despite whatever the measure you're using may say. If you were at a higher resolution your GPU would be bearing more of the load. Of your 3 game sample the one pulling the most power is also the one which barely benefited from your overclocking. That's because it's the only one which isn't being bottlenecked by your system. If you're truly GPU bound the only place you'll see notable gains in FPS are the lows as those tend to be more CPU bound on even the highest end cards.