Navy Launches Next-Generation Stealth Destroyer

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laststop311

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Everyone here saying this technology is a waste of money will one day eat their words. We may not have a threat on the direct horizon but that never lasts forever. Look at the rome empire they were massively ahead of everyone but it didn't last. If you want to be the dominant power of the world you can't sit and rest you must constantly develop more and more powerful and capable systems to maintain that lead and keep other nations in check.

What if we diverted 90% of our defense budget to social programs? Sure it would solve a lot of problems for the poor but what good would that be when another country surpasses our power and enslaves our country? Maybe the poor need to get off their ass and get a job and be a productive member of society. The government will PAY for u to go to school I know because they paid every single cent for me to go to school and gave me thousands extra to live off of as well. If you are too stupid to pass school then maybe you deserve the life you have. Survival of the fittest.

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
"Then again, the new power system was designed to support potential expansion for free-electron lasers and rail guns, and this sentence might be the most awesome thing I'll ever write."

HELL YEAH,
TOP THAT SUKAS

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
@meowmix44 : Huh? We *DO* have the best and largest navy in the world.

Put down the crack pipe, you're living in a dream. I mean, when certain people freak out because China has its first Air-craft carrier (Which is a converted ship, with a very limited aircraft capability) its a joke compared to the USA's 11's which usually includes 6 other support ships.

meowmix44

Honorable
Jan 3, 2013

MURICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Eisbrecher34

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2012

Someone has been playing too much video games it seems...

Just kidding, but in all seriousness satellite imagery won't be an issue. It's good when you have a pre-determined spot that you want surveillance on, but trying to pick a specific spot in the ocean would be like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Satellites and drones are great for recon, but when you are trying to track fast - moving objects, such as destroyers or fighter jets it really comes down to RADAR / SONAR, and possibly IR depending on what it is.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Powered by Redhat Linux.
Why?
Because even the military thinks Win8 sucks ass and is totally unusable, and we all know the bit about military intelligence being an oxymoron.

Tremec

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
To all those crying "we broke" "waste of money" you have no clue on how the government works do you, Many of the ship's features were originally developed under the DD21 program from the 1990's this money was appropriated and spent long ago and its not like you can go un-spend it now can you? If you want to bemoan something hold our congress responsible for this and many other blunders where billions were wasted because they changed which party had control and the new party changed how they wanted it done mid stream so one of their cronies could supply the newly needed widgets to do the project the "new way:

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Screw social programs. They never benefit the middle class. They only give to extreme deadbeats to encourage them to get and vote for democrats. We all know that anyone making 30k or more will just end up being taxed so that some babies momma can have her fifth kid and still enjoy cable TV and some purple drank at the same time.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Wow, did congress take another day off and down vote any critical comment in here? We are doomed, period. Stop dragging it out for the gov. loving sheeple and drive this short bus off a cliff already...

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Military research trickles down into the consumer market eventually... Sure its expensive, and people might not like the application but in the end military research is the reason things we have and love today even exist... You know, things like GPS, microwaves, etc...

Relayer

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
To everyone hating on the US military,
I would like to see a sim run of what would happen if the US pulled all of it's military assets inside it's own borders. How long would So. Korea stay within it's borders? How long would China stay inside theirs? Russia? How long before Israel would attack Iran? Before Al Qaeda would attack every moderate Arab state? Etc... Smarten up people!

apone

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
@ thechief73

"Yet people are starving, cannot find work, living in alleyways, dying because they cannot afford health care."

That's a premature blanket statement. Did you ever consider that many people don't choose to push themselves professionally to become more marketable in the competitive job arena? And why should my taxes help those who choose neglect their health and end up becoming dependent on the government for healthcare assistance?

"Big corps run our gov. and the communications industry is one huge organized monopoly."

Well duh, America is a Capitalistic, free market economy.

"Where is this threat we are protecting ourselves from? "

We tried laissez-faire before during WW II, remember? We got our a$$es bombed @ Pearl Harbor. It's because of this that the United States (and the United Nations) police the world. So crazy dictators and nutjob regimes don't grow and suddently threaten our peace.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Expensive - yep.
Waste of money - perhaps, i believe there are better ships but i did not get to make that call.

Over 50% of US imports travel by sea to the USA. http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/by_the_numbers/maritime_trade_and_transportation/index.html

The US Navy (and its 285 ships and subs) enables the safe transit of all these goods - like the keyboard and most of the computer you use everyday. No other country can or does enable world wide trade by ensuring free transit of goods. We do it cause it's in our best interest. The world enjoys the benefits of this.

Kiss a Sailor and buy him a new boat. Thanks and AHOY !!

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Expensive - yep.
Waste of money - perhaps, i believe there are better ships but i did not get to make that call.

Over 50% of US imports travel by sea to the USA. http://www.rita.dot.gov/bts/sites/rita.dot.gov.bts/files/publications/by_the_numbers/maritime_trade_and_transportation/index.html

The US Navy (and its 285 ships and subs) enables the safe transit of all these goods - like the keyboard and most of the computer you use everyday. No other country can or does enable world wide trade by ensuring free transit of goods. We do it cause it's in our best interest. The world enjoys the benefits of this.

odiervr

Honorable
May 1, 2012
Expensive - yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.