NCGP Forms To 'Self-Regulate' The Game Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I'm worried that the NCGP exists to put a wall between consumers and politicians. The timing makes me think they're going to defend loot boxes and other gambling mechanics in games given how politicians recently began making noise about the issue.

So it's a bunch of self appointed individuals trying to insert themselves into positions of power over the game industry. If that's the case then I'll be appointing myself to the position of "Gaming Loot Box Czar" of the "Great Gaming and Gambling Commission of the Universe."

I do think that there needs to be some sort of industry group preferably of a technical nature, similar to the IEEE, rather than the ESRB, or the various state level gaming commissions. I don't think this is it, or how to go about it. These guys just seem like leeches based on the limited information.

If it must be a federal agency the ESRB is the natural choice. The ESRB could modify their ratings system to account for the predatory or benign nature of the loot box system. So something like Battlefront 2 would get a bump to a mature rating for their aggressive use of loot boxes to drive game play. Where as games without aggressive loot boxes would get flag for "gambling" similar to the "violence" or "tobacco use" flags they currently use.

bdaniel230

Reputable
Mar 31, 2014
Anytime something economic becomes political you can bet that money is changing hands somewhere. Doesn't matter which side you support there are generous instances of this happening over the past 50 years

Status
Not open for further replies.